Brahman dilemma

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Guys I don't know if this is a dumb question? But I bought about 8 pairs of first calf heifers with calfs on there side two months ago. Well there split off from there herd ever since i bought them it's two in the group that will make the others wild. First got them they take off running as soon as they hear my truck coming into the pasture now there getting better with being with my other cows at times but when there all together if they see my truck they all run with them to meet it. My question is I been giving cubes every so often but I'm trying to get them to get like my other cows which it's too gentle Brahmans which are with my gentle cows and there spoiled. Also the others one have don't want them to be pets but able to just walk around them and not headed to another town they have came a long way in two months though. And lastly need of ideas of a catch Pen that flows into my regular working pens I will draw a picture and post it to see if I can give you guys an idea of how it is . But trying to be more efficient when i need to doctor or have to bring them
Up. There not bad cows lol just gotta have a lil patience.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing.When you put them in with the other cows,they may relapse a little until everyone gets the "pecking order" straight but keep feeding them a little.They soon equate your truck with the feed.

JW IN VA said:
Sounds like you are doing the right thing.When you put them in with the other cows,they may relapse a little until everyone gets the "pecking order" straight but keep feeding them a little.They soon equate your truck with the feed.

Lol forgot to mention some of them try to go into my pens to feed but the gentle Cows are bullies when it comes to feeding

callmefence said:
Don't hesitate to cull anything that refuses to calm down. A bad apple will spoil the barrel.

Yeah I'm definitely giving them time to about once they wean there first calfs around dec January not by than they will be gone.

Bfields30 said:
Guys I don't know if this is a dumb question? But I bought about 8 pairs of first calf heifers with calfs on there side two months ago. Well there split off from there herd ever since i bought them it's two in the group that will make the others wild. First got them they take off running as soon as they hear my truck coming into the pasture now there getting better with being with my other cows at times but when there all together if they see my truck they all run with them to meet it. My question is I been giving cubes every so often but I'm trying to get them to get like my other cows which it's too gentle Brahmans which are with my gentle cows and there spoiled. Also the others one have don't want them to be pets but able to just walk around them and not headed to another town they have came a long way in two months though. And lastly need of ideas of a catch Pen that flows into my regular working pens I will draw a picture and post it to see if I can give you guys an idea of how it is . But trying to be more efficient when i need to doctor or have to bring them
Up. There not bad cows lol just gotta have a lil patience.
You have two herds of cattle that don't want to assimilate. I did the exact same thing.
Finally fixed it last week.
Kept feeding cubes in my trap when they were not looking they got shut up in that lot for a week together.
By about the third day they were all buddies to get that round bale I hauled in.

I have a rat trap and it's the only place they get cubes. The rat trap can be exited to the lot, pasture or pens.
Mule is in the trap gate goes to pasture on the other side is a fenced lane that goes to the lot or pen.

I keep the lot planted in stuff they would really like to get too as well.

Did you turn the wild ones straight out or pen them and feed them for a couple week?

Brahamns are notorious for not assimilating with other cattle.

Pen them and feed them. If they dont settle down in a couple weeks haul them to the barn and cut your losses. Dont let two ruin the whole herd.

If your going to play with Brahman cattle you have to cull hard. Over time you learn to not even bring the questionable ones home.

Retaining heifers will save you a lot of heartache long term.

Brute 23 said:
... and you cant push Brahmans that dont want to go. You have to out smart them.

Good facilities are always nice but it's not going to help you keep cattle like that.

That can be a problem for a lot of belt buckles.

Brute 23 said:
Did you turn the wild ones straight out or pen them and feed them for a couple week?

Brahamns are notorious for not assimilating with other cattle.

Pen them and feed them. If they dont settle down in a couple weeks haul them to the barn and cut your losses. Dont let two ruin the whole herd.

If your going to play with Brahman cattle you have to cull hard. Over time you learn to not even bring the questionable ones home.

Retaining heifers will save you a lot of heartache long term.
Penned them two weeks and let them out it just has me worried cause bull is with some one day next day with other herd I know I'm not home 24-7 but just what I see when I home

Brute 23 said:
... and you cant push Brahmans that dont want to go. You have to out smart them.

Good facilities are always nice but it's not going to help you keep cattle like that.

The guy I brought them from sent me pics in pasture and video they were fine. The day I got there they were riled up and he told me they only work them On horses and rarely seen humans every few months. Which I'm not a bad business man wasn't going to say I didn't want them after they penned them for me.

Last thing you will ever see here is a horse. Horse playing cowboy and brimmers don't mix.
If I can't pen them with a bucket of cubes I need a better cow. It will take a while for them to trust and they might not ever get there.

So of the 8 pairs 2 are not settling down?

I would just give them time to settle in until you can do some thing with them.

Eventually you are going to have to make the hard decision. Personally, I doubt they will turn for you if the others have ad they have not. Especially if they are leading the trouble.

On the pens I would tie the pens in to the barn and other cross fence to make a trap that kind of wraps around 3 side of it. That would make a good area to funnel them or hold new cattle coming in.

I have a similar dilemma with combining herds, no wild long ears involved. Got one group on one side of the creek, one on the other. I would like to move them across the road to fresh grass but they're not going until I can get them all. Fortunately the bull don't care, he goes back and forth to whoever smells the best. Mineral location and feeding them isn't working. Apparently, the southside of the creek girls don't need anything or they would be searching for it. Gonna have to starve em out I guess lol.

I turned out a group of F1 and 3/4 blood heifers at a place early in the year. It took every bit of 4 months for them to finally mix with the herd. They got in there with some good grass and did their own thing. They wouldnt hardly even come to me with the horn... I'd have to go hunt them up. It's a bad feeling when every time you go in to check cattle all your heifers are "missing"... no matter how many times you do it. :) They are settled in now and will come busting out of the brush to meet me when they hear a vehicle.

Brute 23 said:
So of the 8 pairs 2 are not settling down?

I would just give them time to settle in until you can do some thing with them.

Eventually you are going to have to make the hard decision. Personally, I doubt they will turn for you if the others have ad they have not. Especially if they are leading the trouble.

On the pens I would tie the pens in to the barn and other cross fence to make a trap that kind of wraps around 3 side of it. That would make a good area to funnel them or hold new cattle coming in.

I purchased 3 cows that hung up on the opposite side of a shallow creek from the big herd. They chewed all the grass down, waited a few more days, and then two of the three would cross to graze. The stay behind would stand on the creek bank and cry till her two friends finished grazing and crossed back to her. This went on for about a week till all three crossed and joined the herd.

Latest posts