brahma

Help Support CattleToday:

Well most folks have the impression that their all wild. they don't handle like your british they dont cowboy too well. as far a strait brahman go i had my share of um a few ago loved to cross them but it was too impractical for me to raise. too much brahman influance can cost you at some sale barns

DPANTOJA":3i4klcwx said:
Sorry, but I am trying to learn as much as possible about cattle.
if you want too learn about cattle buy you some brahma momas they will school you fairly quick..... cattle handling technics 101... the do's and the oh sht. get out of the way ;-)

ALACOWMAN":1zk7htbm said:
DPANTOJA":1zk7htbm said:
Sorry, but I am trying to learn as much as possible about cattle.
if you want too learn about cattle buy you some brahma momas they will school you fairly quick..... cattle handling technics 101... the do's and the oh sht. get out of the way ;-)

Now Brimmers are good cattle can survive on barb wire and saw briars as well. I have seen a lot more crazy full blood Limms than Brimmers, heck it was so bad in Limms they came up with an epd for it.

all my kidding aside to me brahman are about the most intelligent breed out there. thats why they have too be handled differant than others. they got a a keen sence when it comes to trouble for their selves and their babies. as far as mothering instinct they are #1 imo they will kill over a young'n ;-)

The sheer number of Brahman cattle is testomony to how popular they are in hot areas. Some historic problems such as temperament,have long been improved through selective breeding. The main problem in the U.S. is that they are percieved to be inferior in beef quality, and so attract lower prices. In other cattle raising countries, the brahman and related Bos Indicus breeds are not discrimiated against, and obtain good prices at auction.
Although I support a different harsh environment breed I still like the Brahman as a low cost, functional breed.

when i was a younger when we bought our roping calves we always bought brahman or bra.x calves. they were tough hardy and fast. and would stay that way till it was time too renew. you could rope one no matter how fast and they would be waiting on you at the end of the rope .it was a challange to get a good time on one... i aways said then when i got older i would raise them. by then they couldnt pull a trick i hadnt seen :cowboy:

Brahmans are expensive. They are also smart and can get an attitude. Lets just say you dont want a brahman mad at you. They tend to hold a grudge. I raise and show brahmans, so I talk to a lot of people who raise them. A lot of people have said that a lot of people have problems with brahmans because they get outsmarted by the cattle. They also say that brahmans are really sensitive animals. Another big reason people have problems with them is that you dont raise them just like any other breed. Of course there will always be some wild ones, but that is the case with any breed.

DPANTOJA":3v70knik said:
what are some of the resons people do not like brahma ?

Depends on what you're gonna do with 'em. If you plan on commercial cattle and selling calves at your local stockyards - go down and watch 'em sale, they always get discounted.
I understand they make really good beef - but are slow maturing, could be wrong on that and I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Bullbuyer":132jo4e0 said:
DPANTOJA":132jo4e0 said:

Depends on what you're gonna do with 'em. If you plan on commercial cattle and selling calves at your local stockyards - go down and watch 'em sale, they always get discounted.
I understand they make really good beef - but are slow maturing, could be wrong on that and I'm sure I'll be corrected.
your right they are slower too mature but they produce longer. most breeds that mature slower stay in production longer they make it up on the tail end buy lasting a few years longer

Bullbuyer":1ca03oyz said:
DPANTOJA":1ca03oyz said:

Brahman crossbred cattle do receive a discount. Nobody will argue that. How much discount depends on % Brahman in calf and time of the year. My environment dictates that we have to have some Brahman blood. We accept a discount knowing that we will have more pounds of calf to sell out of that Brahman cross cow than a straight British or Continental cow. We match the bull to the cow to produce a desirable feeder calf.

Probably a good plan (provided you're a small producer) would be to feed out your steers and sell them to neighbors or a local packer. Our local guy has been having trouble finding quality slaughter steers lately. At least, ones that didn't have to be hauled a few hundred miles.

if your having to haul cattle several hundred miles too find a market it would seem you need to change breeds. were im located i get good prices on my 1/4 brahman influance. not the case north across the TN. border

ALACOWMAN":azrk3w15 said:
if your having to haul cattle several hundred miles too find a market it would seem you need to change breeds. were im located i get good prices on my 1/4 brahman influance. not the case north across the TN. border

I didn't write that very well - I meant the packer was looking for some quality, on - farm steers and couldn't find any that suited him. May have been a size issue as well. Most people up here aren't feeding out steers - they're selling them as feeders and who knows where they go once they are sold. I agree - once you get very far north, Brahma - influenced cattle tend to sell poorly. I took a beating on some Gert calves in Lexington, Ky a few years ago. Haven't made that mistake again - and won't.

Love 'em here also. Have primarily grays, a couple of reds and spotted ones thrown in. They have excellent dispositions, heat and insect tolerant, and cross with a continental or british bull VERY well.

You've got to bear in mind also, that Brahmans are not a different "breed". They are a totally different species, so there will be greater differences in how they need to be handled and how they react to being handled and worked. It has been said that they respond more drastically to the method in which they are handled, good or bad, than any other type of cattle.