% Brahma?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score

I have a 3 or 4 cows that came with the farm about 12 years ago. Not really sure what their breeding is but they look like charx. They're good cows, never miss, but I've never retained anything from them because they're a little flighty and they're calves are always borderline nutjobs no matter the bull that sires them. The cows have no extra leather or ear, but often I'll get a calf like this from them. Think I've got some brahma in the woodpile?

''little flighty '' does not mean they have any Brahman in them. I have several Brahman and Brahman cross that is as calm as any Angus ,or any other breed as for as that goes, its all in the cow and how they are handled.

BRYANT":24xc4gff said:
''little flighty '' does not mean they have any Brahman in them. I have several Brahman and Brahman cross that is as calm as any Angus ,or any other breed as for as that goes, its all in the cow and how they are handled.
Good point. I'm not bashing brahman; just curious if any thought that the cows may have some influence based on the appearance of the calf.

calf looks to be white with black ears there is a breed like that I'm sure someone on here can tell you what it is. Maybe British white????? still that may not be what they have in them.??? post some pictures of the cows and people may be able to tell more ??

Not enough leather there for much if any really doesn't have the
Brimmer look either. Calf has a little ear I would be scared to venture what is in the woodpile. That ear is not an uncommon look on LH either.
It is all just a guess.

BRYANT":w3ywc84z said:

I agree that Brahman doesn't necessarily = flighty/foolish. But I have one angus/gelbvieh cross heifer that is a complete fool. And she's been handled just like the others. They are like people, some are just idiots.

Definitely not a British white or longhorn. If it was a British white, it would be bright white with coal black noses/ears. I didn't see anything that suggests a longhorn.

I can see the why you thinks it has a brimmer in the woodpile. Just because it didn't have any leather doesn't mean it didn't have any brimmer in it.

Muddy":t94c1eli said:
Definitely not a British white or longhorn. If it was a British white, it would be bright white with coal black noses/ears. I didn't see anything that suggests a longhorn.

I can see the why you thinks it has a brimmer in the woodpile. Just because it didn't have any leather doesn't mean it didn't have any brimmer in it.
British Whites don't just have black points either, they come with different shades of red. One of the largest BW seedstock producers in the country lives about ten miles from me.
That calfs head doesn't say brimmer it is more long and narrow like LH.

Calf and it's mother.
LONGHORN?!? That does it, I'm on my way to get the trailer. :lol:

my experience is the char can be as goofy as any brahma :D

sure looks like a good char x calf except the thin muzzle - agree with Caustic, could be some LH there (though I have seen brahmas with kind of narrow muzzles or at least they look that way with their long faces, cow looks like a char x angus or maybe a char x brangus, in which case there is your brahma

Caustic Burno":3f1qdhhk said:
Muddy":3f1qdhhk said:

British Whites don't just have black points either, they come with different shades of red. One of the largest BW seedstock producers in the country lives about ten miles from me.
That calfs head doesn't say brimmer it is more long and narrow like LH.
My sister's boyfriend raises the British whites and he has both reds and blacks. However their young calves are always bright white, not light grey like the calf pictured. The head of the calf in question looks like a brimmer cross ALOT than Longhorns. Never seen a longhorn with big ears.

The cow appeared to be Char X Brangus.

The cow looks to be 1/2 Char. and 1/2 Fence jumper that could be where they get the ''flightiness'' from.

my guess would be Char X Brangus ?? but who knows

Familiar with the fence jumper breed. She's not related or else she wouldn't still be here. If you cornered her alone she still wouldn't be looking to jump a fence but I'm not sure you'd like the results even so..

I didn't say it was a papered BW the dark ears are characteristic of LH along with BW and White Parks. Here in brimmer country the calf doesn't shape up to have much if any. The whole problem with that calf no one knows how many crayons are out of the box.
I love a crossbred cow on a papered bull you have hybred vigor and predictability in your calf crop.
The mongrel cow is one tough cookie but the anomalies that come out of the cookie jar can be tough eating sometimes.

I agree with several of the others. Char x Brangus. In the herd I help with they used a Brangus Bulls many years ago. Although several generations away they still show some brahma look. Have at least one every year that looks similar to this calf

Updated pic..Mostly because I'm bored and wanted to make sure I still knew how to post a pic.. He will need to be dehorned at weaning..still think he shows a little Brahma influence, but not a breed expert by any means..

Lazy M":28x3x7n8 said:
Updated pic..Mostly because I'm bored and wanted to make sure I still knew how to post a pic.. He will need to be dehorned at weaning..still think he shows a little Brahma influence, but not a breed expert by any means..

What's his sire?

Pretty pictures LazyM. I have 4 cows that color in my herd. They are excellent moms. Not sure what they are either as they came from a tan cow with a white blaze that I bought at the sale barn about 10 years ago. She was a great cow so I kept some of her daughters. My best guess of the breed of that cow was Sim/Brah. She and her daughters throw calves that are tan when born and slowly turn to gray as they age and never show much ear.

Latest posts