BQA audit

Help Support CattleToday:

I have never heard of hunters shooting livestock because they had an unproductive day.

"Hey Billy, I know we didn't see any rabbits today and that you're terribly disappointed and frustrated. Look over there though, the neighbor has some cows! Go ahead and take a shot Billy! We're not leaving until we have some fun!"

That has to be some of the dumbest and most ignorant anti-hunter nonsense I have heard in awhile.

I have never heard of hunters shooting livestock because they had an unproductive day.

"Hey Billy, I know we didn't see any rabbits today and that you're terribly disappointed and frustrated. Look over there though, the neighbor has some cows! Go ahead and take a shot Billy! We're not leaving until we have some fun!"

That has to be some of the dumbest and most ignorant anti-hunter nonsense I have heard in awhile.
Yeah, I don't think any actual hunter would do that. My way of thinking is that that hunters as a collective group have a lot of crossover in that many are farmers and ranchers and those that are not are probably the next group of folks that respects nature and animals the most like farmers do. In other words they only take what they are supposed to and don't go around wantonly killing things.
My thinking is the incidence of deliberate shooting of cattle and livestock comes from young folks that quite frankly have no raising no respect for anything or anybody and too much free time, if they get access to guns they are likely to do that kind of thing. Those also would be the ones poaching out season, hunting illegally on others property, causing property damage and giving actual hunters a bad name.

Owned a pair of boots once that had bird shot in the tongue imbedded in the leather. More than one old timer around here would take bird shot to the hind end of repeat offenders on the wrong side of the fence
Hope the bird shot was there before you bought the boots not after. Lol
Seen several bulls burned with birdshot. Mostly it was a light load but sometimes it would get deep enough to bring the blood.

I did read a summary that came from NCBA. It clearly states large increases in yield grade 4 and 5 carcasses but the article states tremendous progress with wasteful fat.

Do you have a link to the NCBA summary?

I renewed my BQA certification in class this year (instead of online) and they mentioned one audit because so many feeders were showing an inordinate amount of metal, primarily in their tongues, at a particular slaughter facility. Turns out one of the main feed yards uses cable with a lot of their fencing and the feeders were licking the cables.

A gallon of paint before hunting season is in order.
View attachment 31247
I have heard of and seen a picture like this many years ago. So it's not unheard of. I'd suggest using yellow of hunter orange paint though, as white could actually produce the opposite of the desired effect as the hunter might have thought they saw the white tail of a white-tail deer. The image is of something that can and has been done. That being said, and I'm not a photo expert, but this particular image looks like its been photo shopped. The concept and idea isn't a bad one (although it's a sad one) and it has been done.

My grandfather used to keep large working mules. His last team was a massive pair of Belgian mules. I was on the property next to the farm talking to a utility worker and he said look at those deer walking on the other side of the fence.

When I was in college in Grand Junction Colorado I heard that there was a horse that was shot out from under the rider by a hunter up on the Mesa. I'm not really sure it was really true, if was I would think it would by pretty easy to distinguish a man on a horse from a deer.

I have heard of and seen a picture like this many years ago. So it's not unheard of. I'd suggest using yellow of hunter orange paint though, as white could actually produce the opposite of the desired effect as the hunter might have thought they saw the white tail of a white-tail deer. The image is of something that can and has been done. That being said, and I'm not a photo expert, but this particular image looks like its been photo shopped. The concept and idea isn't a bad one (although it's a sad one) and it has been done.
Just make sure to keep your John Deere parked in the barn.....

I had a friend who was walking down the street in town. Here came a car with a dead yearling Hereford on the roof. She had an antelope tag in her ear. He was laughing until the car passed him and he saw his brand on the heifer. Luckily the one stop light in town changed to red so he was able to the car.

@Dave... finish the story! What'd he do when he caught up with folks that 'bagged & tagged' his heifer?

He never did tell me the final results. But I know the town cop showed up and a game warden was called. It was still in court the last time I talked to him. Unfortunately he passed away and I don't know his wife well enough to call and ask for the rest of the story.

Just what is the percentage of carcasses with shot in them? I think of all the problems we face from poachers bird shot in a living animal is pretty low on the list. Even in the anti gun state of California, we have big problems with poachers to the point that we can't have habitat on our places.

Latest posts