Bout Time!

Help Support CattleToday:

mtnfarmer

Reaction score
Well I posted about a month ago about a heifer that still hadn't calved while all her sisters and girlfriends had dropped their babies by the middle of March. We were about to give up on her and cull her next month. Yesterday she showed up with a little steer calf that she had with no trouble on her own.
Hard to believe she would calve a good 4 months after the rest when they were all introduced to the bull at the same time! :D

And having it born already castrated too, now that's some cow

dun

she still sounds like a cull candidate to me unless she is significantly younger or smaller than the others for some reason.

dun":1phh97z7 said:

dun

Dang Dun you are quick. I need to get me some of those cows that have steers. :lol: Just pulling your chain mtnfarmer. Hey don't feel bad, I have two that did that to me. I already have them on the cull list after I get their next calf.

flaboy":7b8468t4 said:
dun":7b8468t4 said:

dun

Dang Dun you are quick. I need to get me some of those cows that have steers. :lol: Just pulling your chain mtnfarmer. Hey don't feel bad, I have two that did that to me. I already have them on the cull list after I get their next calf.

What I need is cows that come in with newborn bred heifers by their side!

dun

that or like them to come up with calf at side an already bred back. id love to get some of those auto steer calves. scott

Medic24":38z1yeav said:
well glad to see you have at least something to show for the wait....Hey Mtnfarmer..may I inquire? what part of NC you from more or less? :cboy:

Between Boone and Banner Elk
How bout you?

Beefy":2hokiqp8 said:
she still sounds like a cull candidate to me unless she is significantly younger or smaller than the others for some reason.

She weaned late off her mama..kept getting through the fence. So she may be a bit behind for that reason. She is a good mama, and a daughter of 6I6, who breeds ecellent daughters. Her milk is plenty, and her calf is healthy. It's a tough call.

my late weaners usually breed earlier than the others if they are the same age. if she breeds back on time it may be cheaper to keep her rather than replace her.

preston39":2mhofaae said:
mtnfarmer,
Based on your evaluation ...I wouldnt rush to sell her. Another breeding and calf should be considered before that move.

i agree. i have a very good 4 year old that is raising her 3rd calf... she was late on her 2nd calf, but early on this one, and bred back fast..

good luck

jt

Latest posts