'Bout Time!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
This old girl is 13. Always one of the first to calve, always has a bull calf and raises a whopper. Short solid mouth, draws down because she gives everything to her calf but I've never had to doctor her for anything, not even a wonky foot. Bless her heart, doesn't even have hair on the back of her ears anymore. Would it kill her to give me a heifer?!?! Well I'll be darned, this is the year!!! Sooo keeping the heifer - well, contingent on pelvic measurements but that's the plan.

In other news: Twins. Hate them! Two sets. Was supplementing the smaller ones but eventually sold one to a friend to adopt onto one of her cows (calf got stepped on at the bale ring - yikes!). Instant love connection, all good. The 3 remaining twins are thriving.

Aaaaand another preemie. Lucky for her she has an awesome mama that allowed me to get that tiny baby latched on for 3 days, no chute. Finally got the hang of it, turned them out to pasture after a few more days of TCL and the calf is doing great. She's a little pistol that thinks she owns the place!

Heifers. The bane of my calving existence and yet I keep retaining them. Fortunately all healthy, thriving calves (one heifer left) and good little mamas. With one exception. Little she-beast absolutely refused to accept her calf, despite quality chute time and copious amounts of molasses and Orphan No More. Sold her to the aforementioned friend for another adoption (she's having a rough year!) and the calf has a new mama that loves her. My heifer will be taking a ride. Buh bye!

So according to the gestation calculator, calving should have theoretically started 3/7. I call BS on that! 42 calves, 10 to go. Holy beef babies! And super thrilled with the progeny of my new bulls.

bird dog said:
I see in pic #2 you already have a price tag on that one.

That's about what she's worth to me! :D My tagging system is a cluster only I understand. Bought this old girl as a 2 year old bred and used the "alphabet system" for our original cows, this is the 11th calf she's given us.

TCRanch said:
bird dog said:
I see in pic #2 you already have a price tag on that one.

That's about what she's worth to me! :D My tagging system is a cluster only I understand. Bought this old girl as a 2 year old bred and used the "alphabet system" for our original cows, this is the 11th calf she's given us.

Will be interesting to see if she turns out.

Had a phone visit with an old friend last night who raises Angus and Simmental purebreds and keeps about 200 commercial cows too.

I asked the question of him why does a cow that has all keeper type heifers rarely raise a bull calf worth leaving intact to keep as a herd sire........
His explanation of maternal and paternal dams was very interesting.

He related how one of their cows raised 11 good bulls straight and then 2 very mediocre females.

Hope your heifer is every bit as good as her mother. Let's bring back this topic in two years.

Good luck with the rest.

Will be interesting to see if she turns out.

Had a phone visit with an old friend last night who raises Angus and Simmental purebreds and keeps about 200 commercial cows too.

I asked the question of him why does a cow that has all keeper type heifers rarely raise a bull calf worth leaving intact to keep as a herd sire........
His explanation of maternal and paternal dams was very interesting.

He related how one of their cows raised 11 good bulls straight and then 2 very mediocre females.

Hope your heifer is every bit as good as her mother. Let's bring back this topic in two years.

Good luck with the rest.
I'm a year early but a little update: She was pelvic measured in Feb at exactly 11 months. My goal is 150+ and she measured 148.5. Close enough, I'm making an exception. Love her!IMG_20210408_161622.jpg

Thought I'd give an update on 5K/Piper. Exceeding my expectations!!!! Shouldn't be surprised, based on her dam and why I wanted a heifer out of her in the worst way. She had a heifer calf 3/4/22. Went into labor just before dark. It was taking too long, and I realized I was looking at back feet when I checked her out. Got the chains from the workshop, came back, and there was her calf. All good! Cleaned her off right away but did the "heifer dance" longer than my patience, so I dumped a couple cubes and got the calf latched on. She's fine boned and one of my smallest cows, but raising one of the largest heifer calves.

First pic as a bred heifer. 2nd & 3rd, this morning.
1662477173497.jpeg
1662477224530.jpeg
1662477265091.jpeg

Thought I'd give an update on 5K/Piper. Exceeding my expectations!!!! Shouldn't be surprised, based on her dam and why I wanted a heifer out of her in the worst way. She had a heifer calf 3/4/22. Went into labor just before dark. It was taking too long, and I realized I was looking at back feet when I checked her out. Got the chains from the workshop, came back, and there was her calf. All good! Cleaned her off right away but did the "heifer dance" longer than my patience, so I dumped a couple cubes and got the calf latched on. She's fine boned and one of my smallest cows, but raising one of the largest heifer calves.

First pic as a bred heifer. 2nd & 3rd, this morning.
View attachment 20795
View attachment 20796
View attachment 20797
Exceeding is definitely the right phrase. Heifer better savor that milk she's wasting as it won't be too much longer!😂

and keep the tradition going.
That's the thing. I rarely retain a heifer calf from a first calf heifer because I want a history of consistently breeding back early/calving within the first month of the season. But I'm willing to make an exception with this calf. I'd be kicking myself if Piper didn't give me another heifer.

That's the thing. I rarely retain a heifer calf from a first calf heifer because I want a history of consistently breeding back early/calving within the first month of the season. But I'm willing to make an exception with this calf. I'd be kicking myself if Piper didn't give me another heifer.
Exactly!

Look forward to many more updates. That heifer raising a heifer is awesome. They both look great!

I do about the same only difference is I only keep heifers from mothers that have never missed calving in the first calving cycle.
If a heifer does miss she is a one and done. Not sure how it is for you but for myself it is the staying on schedule for that 2nd calf..
It seems that body condition is most critical between the first calf and cycling for the 2nd. I probably should pelvic measure but I
have not had a need to pull a calf in 20 + years.

It seems that body condition is most critical between the first calf and cycling for the 2nd.
Very critical, but in my world, can't say the most because I rarely have a heifer or cow below a BCS 6. I think having enough good minerals available is crucial - and assuming they ingest them.

Congrats on not pulling a calf in 20 years! Last ones pulled here was with my Oops Baby, bred waaay too young, and one with a leg back.

Piper just had her 2nd calf - within the first week of calving. Kept Pepper as a replacement (in the above milk face pics). Pelvic measured 149.5 but close enough, just like her mama. As luck would have it, her 2nd calf (Peck) is also a heifer.

Pepper at 11 months:
1678147220176.jpeg
And Peck, just a few hours old and "hiding" in plain sight.
1678147376773.jpeg

Just caught up on this post. Great progress in increasing that cow family. NICE calves.

Cow family is MOST important in my herd. I read an article I copied for my newsletter:

I do NOT believe in keeping only first/early born heifers and when I saw the title of this article, I almost ignored it. Glad I didn't.
If a dam fails to get bred during my 60 days calving season, or slips her pregancy, I will slide her over to the next 60 days calving season. ONCE. Culling is based on COW performance. I do not base my retained heifers on DATES.
Maybe in a natural service situation it might be beneficial to only keep early born, but I don't know?? I do not believe in single trait selection for anything.
As far as I'm concerned, any cow that produces a calf in a 60 day period every year, has proven herself as a "family tree".

Just caught up on this post. Great progress in increasing that cow family. NICE calves.

Cow family is MOST important in my herd. I read an article I copied for my newsletter:

I do NOT believe in keeping only first/early born heifers and when I saw the title of this article, I almost ignored it. Glad I didn't.
If a dam fails to get bred during my 60 days calving season, or slips her pregancy, I will slide her over to the next 60 days calving season. ONCE. Culling is based on COW performance. I do not base my retained heifers on DATES.
Maybe in a natural service situation it might be beneficial to only keep early born, but I don't know?? I do not believe in single trait selection for anything.
As far as I'm concerned, any cow that produces a calf in a 60 day period every year, has proven herself as a "family tree".

Breeding back in timely manner is part of performance is it not? I get that you have pure breds and that can get expensive but letting cows slide can lead down a path that is not the best for the breed can it not?

I certainly understand the concept of retaining heifers from cows that settled in the first heat cycle after bull turnout. Fertility and staying on a 365 day calving interval are very important economic traits.

However, I think the application of that is different for a herd with a natural service bull compared to AI only. With natural service, the cows have equal opportunity. Hopefully the bull is on the job 24/7 and is highly motivated to detect heat and service every cow at the optimum time. If the cow does not return to heat on time and settle first service, there is likely a connection to fertility. With AI service, there are several factors that may result in the cow not settling on first service. Probably the biggest factor is heat detection. Number of times per day and amount of time spent on heat detection. Weather - heavy rain or stormy/extreme weather makes it more difficult to detect heat and cows are missed. Accuracy of heat detection, best handling of semen, inseminator skills. Are those the fault of the cow?

Natural service puts lots more sperm in the cow at probably a more optimum time than AI service. Usually resulting in a higher percentage of cows settled on first service. Do the replacements from those early born natural service matings have better fertility than replacements from AI calves born from the first 2 AI services? I think there is less connection to the fertility of the cow with AI service than natural service.

Latest posts