• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bought some semen today.

Help Support CattleToday:

Lbass

Reaction score
With my goals for the farm, I've been looking to bring the size of the cows down and make them easier fleshing, hoping that will improving fertility and longevity. Trying to get this herd to year round grazing and I believe these bulls may help.

When visiting peoples farms that manage similar to mine. I like there cows, but It's hard for me to like the bulls after years of running large terminal sires and buying replacement heifers. I guess if I like the cows, I'll learn to like a smaller bull.
HerefordsScreenshot_20201117-202518.pngScreenshot_20201117-185537.pngScreenshot_20201117-190418.png
I also bought a few straws of a Red Angus and a Pharo composite. Maybe in 3-4 years I wont feel like to big an idiot.

Son of Butch

Reaction score
With my goals for the farm, I've been looking to bring the size of the cows down and make them easier fleshing, hoping that will improving fertility and longevity. Trying to get this herd to year round grazing and I believe these bulls may help.

When visiting peoples farms that manage similar to mine. I like their cows...
Sound reasoning.

OP
L

Lbass

Reaction score
@Lbass why the change to make your own replacements? Why not buy smaller frame replacements from someone that manages similar to you and use terminal sires on them?
Simple answer, they can't be found, and if they are they are not at a reasonable price. And if they were found, they still wont be as adapted to the forage base as one raised here.

Roughly speaking, if I bring in a group of cattle, 30% will be gone before the 2nd calf hits the ground. Another 30% before the 3rd. Those that are here after that, will be the cows that last. I'm constantly bleeding cash bringing in cattle.

I already hold calves until they are ~15months. Might as well turn the bull in on all heifers for a short season. Blood test and sell the others for feeders before Sept 1 so they arent eating my fall stockpile growth.

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Interesting you know that, considering it was the bull without a name listed.
I also bought Herdquitter, 1 of the red angus and the Diamond composite bull for a test.
Have you used him, or just like him?
PCC used Axel for a short period, before he escaped to Canada about 3 years ago. I will be using some of his semen next summer.

I also have one PCC composite bull, and about 20 of his heifer calves. They have a thick fleshy look.

Last edited:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Those bulls are good looking as individuals. I have often thought about the concept of running smaller frame cows, I actually prefer smaller cows. Our markets though are very unforgiving of anything under say frame 5 animals and even those if they are perceived as fleshy. I kept back some moderate bulls to retain heifers from and am kind of concerned about how the steers will not reach full potential of the cows. I recently brought in a Simmental bull to use in addition to the home raised Angus and white faced bulls.

FungusProudKY31

Reaction score
Those bulls are good looking as individuals. I have often thought about the concept of running smaller frame cows, I actually prefer smaller cows. Our markets though are very unforgiving of anything under say frame 5 animals and even those if they are perceived as fleshy. I kept back some moderate bulls to retain heifers from and am kind of concerned about how the steers will not reach full potential of the cows. I recently brought in a Simmental bull to use in addition to the home raised Angus and white faced bulls.

I just moved some bull calves like into the category of steers for a grassfed producer deal yesterday. They do well in that emphasis but cost me $150+ on discounts in the barn. This came out of the blue as a assumed CE bull for heifers was from good sized parents and grew well but he left a set of calves that look like bookends with FS4. He rode off into the sunset and all of his sons will, too. Such a waste from the unexplained.

Small framed cows look good and make good talk. But once you set small frame in a herd it is nearly impossible to get it out. It just costs too much to have pasture ornaments.

Ky hills

Reaction score
I just moved some bull calves like into the category of steers for a grassfed producer deal yesterday. They do well in that emphasis but cost me $150+ on discounts in the barn. This came out of the blue as a assumed CE bull for heifers was from good sized parents and grew well but he left a set of calves that look like bookends with FS4. He rode off into the sunset and all of his sons will, too. Such a waste from the unexplained.

Small framed cows look good and make good talk. But once you set small frame in a herd it is nearly impossible to get it out. It just costs too much to have pasture ornaments.
That’s what I’ve always thought too, been there with calves from a mainstream pedigree CE bull too. We took a yearling bull to the stockyards monthly cow sale last year and they talked us out of running him through because he was small frame. Took him home and ran him a few more months then sold him as a feeder. Even though I prefer smaller cows, our cows are mostly 1400+ to 1600lbs mature weights. I will not use an AI bull or buy a herd bull under a frame 5.5 and prefer a 6-7. The concept of smaller cattle does sound good but I can’t make it figure.

Latest posts