Bought 3 heifers today

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I went to the Circle M Gelbvieh & Balancer sale today. I met bse (one of the members of CT). Very nice guy. We had a great time looking at cattle and chowing down on some chilli dogs and caramel pie. The ignition switch locked up on my old farm truck and bse offered to hitch on to my trailer and haul the heifers that I bought home for me. I live out of the way for him but he was nice enough to offer. Fortunatley I was somehow able to keep wiggling it for 30 minutes and it freed itself up. I walked away with two bred heifers and one open heifer. Two purebred Gelbvieh and one Balancer. One gelb is a Carolina Fortune daughter and one is a Post Rock Silver daughter. The Balancer is out of a Lemmon Newsline son and is really nice. The heifer I really wanted that was top of my list was a 7132T daughter but she sold for $3,500 which was well out of my price range for a single heifer. Heifers averaged about $2,000 and bulls about $3,000. Highest selling bull went for $5,100 I think (that might have been half ownership and half semen interest). bse was paying more attention to the bulls than I was. I just walked in from the sale as I was one of the last to get loaded so I didn't leave there until after dark. I will get some pics in the coming days and post them.

HOSS":3ofk1g9a said:
I went to the Circle M Gelbvieh & Balancer sale today. I met bse (one of the members of CT). Very nice guy. We had a great time looking at cattle and chowing down on some chilli dogs and caramel pie. The ignition switch locked up on my old farm truck and bse offered to hitch on to my trailer and haul the heifers that I bought home for me. I live out of the way for him but he was nice enough to offer. Fortunatley I was somehow able to keep wiggling it for 30 minutes and it freed itself up. I walked away with two bred heifers and one open heifer. Two purebred Gelbvieh and one Balancer. One gelb is a Carolina Fortune daughter and one is a Post Rock Silver daughter. The Balancer is out of a Lemmon Newsline son and is really nice. The heifer I really wanted that was top of my list was a 7132T daughter but she sold for $3,500 which was well out of my price range for a single heifer. Heifers averaged about $2,000 and bulls about $3,000. Highest selling bull went for $5,100 I think (that might have been half ownership and half semen interest). bse was paying more attention to the bulls than I was. I just walked in from the sale as I was one of the last to get loaded so I didn't leave there until after dark. I will get some pics in the coming days and post them.

Thanks for the report Hoss, I was wondering earlier how it went. Sorry I couldn't make it, hope to next year. My balancer calves are growing like weeds even in this cruddy weather we are having. If I didn't have 4X4 I would have to keep the dozier close by. Glad you got some good ones and got to meet BSE.

Cabo":202ur8y0 said:
HOSS":202ur8y0 said:

Thanks for the report Hoss, I was wondering earlier how it went. Sorry I couldn't make it, hope to next year. My balancer calves are growing like weeds even in this cruddy weather we are having. If I didn't have 4X4 I would have to keep the dozier close by. Glad you got some good ones and got to meet BSE.

I missed you Cabo. It sure was cold though so at least you missed the snow and cold wind :lol2:

Must of been some poor looking cows, heifers and bulls. I been reading where people have been spending, 7k for heifers, and 200k for a bull. Hoss why would you buy a open heifer??
Sounds like you know what good hamburger is worth. I'am sure there nice looking heifers.

highgrit":2mkzv7br said:
Must of been some poor looking cows, heifers and bulls. I been reading where people have been spending, 7k for heifers, and 200k for a bull. Hoss why would you buy a open heifer??
Sounds like you know what good hamburger is worth. I'am sure there nice looking heifers.
I can't afford them fat ones. :mrgreen:

I bought the open one with plans to A.I. her in May. She was cheaper than the bred ones and I get to choose what bull she gets bred to.

I'm sure Tommy doesn't own any high birthweight bulls but if one is buying heifers in the dark they can sleep a lot better in calving season knowing what they are bred to. I bought a bred heifer that tried to have a 100 lb calf in the middle of July. The calf was dead, she prolapsed, and I almost died pulling it. Learned that lesson well.

Cabo":1n9uayq6 said:
I'm sure Tommy doesn't own any high birthweight bulls but if one is buying heifers in the dark they can sleep a lot better in calving season knowing what they are bred to. I bought a bred heifer that tried to have a 100 lb calf in the middle of July. The calf was dead, she prolapsed, and I almost died pulling it. Learned that lesson well.
Both of the bred heifers are bred to a calving ease Balancer bull out of Leachman Right Time. Should go smoothly I hope.

The Balancer heifer will not cooperate with me. She hasn't settled down enough to get a pic she is still too flighty. The Post Rock Silver daughter did stand still long enough. I'll have to drive over to the other farm to get a picture of the Fortune daughter.
a05818e2-987f-46c5-ab94-f1d152bc8365_zps416cc2d7.jpg

HOSS":1pa1shb2 said:
The Balancer heifer will not cooperate with me. She hasn't settled down enough to get a pic she is still too flighty. The Post Rock Silver daughter did stand still long enough. I'll have to drive over to the other farm to get a picture of the Fortune daughter.
a05818e2-987f-46c5-ab94-f1d152bc8365_zps416cc2d7.jpg

I knew you would pick some good ones. Wish I had been there.

Here is the Fortune heifer....terrible pic. In reality she is comparable to the Silver heifer but younger. I had to find her in the woods and keep following her until she paused long enough for a pic.
ee410991-92af-47c3-996a-edcbccf6d4ca_zps1c175a7f.jpg

HOSS":2nr3frhk said:
Here is the Fortune heifer....terrible pic. In reality she is comparable to the Silver heifer but younger. I had to find her in the woods and keep following her until she paused long enough for a pic.
ee410991-92af-47c3-996a-edcbccf6d4ca_zps1c175a7f.jpg
The more I look at this picture the more I realize that it is as bad of a picture that can be taken. She looks horrible in it. Looks like she has no rump and wierd legs. I am embarrassed :oops: I'll have to get some better pics soon to redeem myself :mad:

cowwrangler":1pfmdksq said:
no rump and weird legs ,i better come get them,you dont want stuff like that ,lol :D :D
cw, this auction was a "pick of the pen" auction. I had my eye on a nice Atlas 101N daughter but the high bidder took the whole pen at once. 12 heifers. My Atlas girl was in that pen. :(

Latest posts