Bottle feeding?

Help Support CattleToday:

When the calf is eating at least 3 pounds of dry calf starter feed...then I cut out one bottle a day for about 2 weeks, then if they are doing well, I cut out the other. I've seen calves weaned to early that wind up with respiratory problems.

Put the starter grower and hay out when they are 3 days old...and change it every other day or so. Before long they'll start nosing around in it, then eating it.

Just my opinion.

Alice

I,m doing one now that just started feed. Took a while longer than some less than others to get started. I put a cup of powdered milk on top. It seems to work a little better than plain feed. Also helps to have another calf in the lot with it eating feed at the same time. Every calf is diferent.

After I feed the bottle I take a little bit of the starter and put it in their mouth. Gives them a taste of what it is and gets them started on it a little faster.

When I do it, I always go longer than I should. It does depend on each animal and how healthy they are and what else they are willing to eat.

Some are just plain lazy. After 10 weeks starve the lazy ones a little, then they get after the feed eagerly. Taper the bottle off at that point.

we always hand fed some starter but they bite so if you dont like pain then dont do it.

I don't wean them off of milk until I would be willing to wean them off of their mother if they had one.
that not nessisary to keep a bucket calf on milk for that long. have you ever had a bucket calf? if you have you'd understand why you wouldn't want to milk them that long. plus its just not really necisary. i think we milked them for 6 weeks so they eat starter and drink water. and then after that we milked them once a day for a week then after that there weened!!

Milk replacer is just way to expensive to use for very long.
But then I always hope to make a little money on mine.
The rumine system isn't all that picky about where the nutrients come from.

cattleluvr18":2mypep0r said:
I don't wean them off of milk until I would be willing to wean them off of their mother if they had one.
that not nessisary to keep a bucket calf on milk for that long. have you ever had a bucket calf? if you have you'd understand why you wouldn't want to milk them that long. plus its just not really necisary. i think we milked them for 6 weeks so they eat starter and drink water. and then after that we milked them once a day for a week then after that there weened!!

I agree with Victoria - and I would be willing to bet she's had a number of bottle calves over the years. :lol: My calves are assessed individually, but they are fed 2 gallons of milk replacer/day for 1 1/2 - 2 months (with the more aggressive calves the milk replacer is reduced sooner, but they still get a gallon/day until they are at least 2 months old. Grain, hay, and water is always provided from day one), and I've never had a problem with turning a profit on them. In this area, milk replacer is a dollar/lb - perhaps it's a matter of milk replacer being cheaper in my area than yours?

cattleluvr18":287dv273 said:
we always hand fed some starter but they bite so if you dont like pain then dont do it.

Unfortunately I have had orphans over the years. Believe me I do my best not to have them however. I keep hearing about the problems people have with bottle calves being unruly but I've only had one that was any kind of problem. The rest have been well behaved. From day one I treat them like a cow would. They behave poorly and get knocked hard. By the time they are a few months old they only need a threat to behave.
I have found calves do better fed milk longer. I keep the heifers for replacements and had one of my girls bringing up an orphan for me a couple of years ago so she paid me back the extra expense. She also raised the largest heifer calf we had last year. What is necessary and what is best is not always the same.

I agree with Victoria and Msscamp. I bottle feed mine minimum 4 months. I try to go to five, but it the calf is doing well I will wean at about 4 to 4 1/2 months. The calves will grow better and should wean at about the same weight as calves left on their momma's. Milk replacer here is about a $1.00/per lb. too and to me it's worth it to have a healthy good gaining calf.

Haven't been bit by a cow/calf yet. I put my hand on the upper plate and tip their head back a bit and let the starter slide off my hand and then pull it out. Works pretty good that way. Do that a couple of times and it becomes routine and they will expect it. Then you can introduce them to the bunk.

We can get replacer for 80 cents a pound but I don't know about feeding for 4.5 months.. Yes, the longer they go the better but that is a lot longer.. How many bags does a calf go through in that much time?

Msscamp.. 2 gallons a day? Isn't that double what the bag recommends? Isn't it suppose to be 1/2 gallon twice a day or maybe three times a day? We have an early calf that we are trying to convert over because she got blizzarded out on Tuesday night. 3 weeks old but she just didn't take to the storm well, don't know why..

I will probably go through 3 bags of replacer and a bag of calf starter. After about 2-3 months I cut the bottle to one a day.

There has been research published that bottle fed calves are not fed the same amount of milk solids that a nursing calf receives. That is why feeding double the recommended amount on the bag. I think Msscamp posted the research or the link on here previously. The research showed that bottle calves are being underfed.

I don't have time right now to look up the post, hopefully Msscamp can repost if she see's this. Or if I find it in the meantime I will post it.

Latest posts