Bottle-fed calves????????

Help Support CattleToday:

T-Bone

Reaction score
I have been considering purchasing some bottle-fed calves. I can buy 10 Holstein cross (Angus) for $500.00. The more you buy the cheaper it gets. What are your thoughts?

I say BUY all you can - mortgage the house, borrow from the inlaws, whatever it takes ! That is a good deal - unless you have to haul them a LONG way or something else I missed.

What's the catch ?

T-Bone":30p6bmst said:
I have been considering purchasing some bottle-fed calves. I can buy 10 Holstein cross (Angus) for $500.00. The more you buy the cheaper it gets. What are your thoughts?

Are these weaned calves or still on the bottle, what age/weight/gender?

dun

T-Bone":1f9ntqif said:
They are within one-two weeks old bull and heifer calves. Not far within one hour drive.

Seems awfully high to me. Although the heifers can in some circumstances make decent cows, too often they milk way to heavy for a pasture environemnt. For the bull calves, the Order Buyers seem to be able to pick out that dairy influence and pay less.

dun

dun":3rqn0bvn said:
T-Bone":3rqn0bvn said:
They are within one-two weeks old bull and heifer calves. Not far within one hour drive.

Seems awfully high to me. Although the heifers can in some circumstances make decent cows, too often they milk way to heavy for a pasture environemnt. For the bull calves, the Order Buyers seem to be able to pick out that dairy influence and pay less.

dun

If you buy more than ten you can get a better price around $35.00./hd

Need more info. I'm thinkin' somethings up. Are you saying you get all 10 for $500.00 or $500.00 a head? I have never seen Holstein bottle calves go for $50 a head. Definately not heifer Holsteins. Cheapest we've paid is $100 a head for bull calves. Most won't even consider selling heifer calves. Unless they're twins to bull calves, then they go for same price as bull calves. We've made decent money finishing out Holsteins.

Farmhand":2354uex9 said:
Need more info. I'm thinkin' somethings up. Are you saying you get all 10 for $500.00 or $500.00 a head? I have never seen Holstein bottle calves go for $50 a head. Definately not heifer Holsteins. Cheapest we've paid is $100 a head for bull calves. Most won't even consider selling heifer calves. Unless they're twins to bull calves, then they go for same price as bull calves. We've made decent money finishing out Holsteins.

Yes! 35.00-50.00/hd most any time of the year.

WOW!! I need some of them! Are the heifers free martins? What are your plans for them?

Farmhand":3cjsc671 said:
WOW!! I need some of them! Are the heifers free martins? What are your plans for them?

I should have more information by tomorrow. I will call the man today. I have not committed to doing this but if I see an opportunity to make some money I will.

T-Bone":37eehs6e said:
Farmhand":37eehs6e said:

I should have more information by tomorrow. I will call the man today. I have not committed to doing this but if I see an opportunity to make some money I will.
Just got off the phone with the man. Jersey bull calves at 35-50. No heifers at that price.

Farmhand":2jhmiisw said:
I have never seen Holstein bottle calves go for $50 a head.

2 to 3 years ago I was able to pick a few up from the dairy for $50 a piece (not heifers). Not anymore! Around this part of Va. the average price for day-old Holsteins is $175. The HolsteinXAngus go for $250 or more and "general" beef-type babies go for $300 or more.

Katherine

T-Bone":107570ld said:
T-Bone":107570ld said:
Farmhand":107570ld said:

Just got off the phone with the man. Jersey bull calves at 35-50. No heifers at that price.
You mentioned HolsteinxAngus in your first post. Any of them? I have never tried a Jersey but seem to think someone on here said they are harder to raise. What's the price for the HolsteinxAngus? There's some I'd like to get a hold of.

Workinonit Farm":234lr0r4 said:
Farmhand":234lr0r4 said:
I have never seen Holstein bottle calves go for $50 a head.

2 to 3 years ago I was able to pick a few up from the dairy for $50 a piece (not heifers). Not anymore! Around this part of Va. the average price for day-old Holsteins is $175. The HolsteinXAngus go for $250 or more and "general" beef-type babies go for $300 or more.

Katherine
Those prices are generally what I'm seeing too. Sure made me cut back on things. Hate seeing that building empty!

At 50 bucks a head if they're off to a good start it sounds like one of those too good to be true deals

dun

dun":1rcxokqg said:
At 50 bucks a head if they're off to a good start it sounds like one of those too good to be true deals

dun
Was thinkin' the same. By the sound of things though, these are normal prices for that area? Am curious if that price is just for the Jerseys. My experience has been that a HolsteinxAngus is more money because of the beef influence.

T-Bone":13y4dbos said:
T-Bone":13y4dbos said:
Farmhand":13y4dbos said:

I called to verify the breed. It is Jersey bull calves not HolsteinxAngus.
What do you think of a 20-30 calve operation?

In my area, jersey/jerseyX-bulls/steers sell at a discount to holstein/holX steers. $35-$50 sounds like a reasonable price for babies.

When you sell these guys, they will probably bring less than holsteins. If you feed them to finish, I understand they marble well and are tender.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck & regards

Brock

Latest posts