bottle calves

Help Support CattleToday:

deleasom

Reaction score
This is my second post. thanks for all the help on my first. Another questions. I recently got into Jersey cows and have been nursing 1/2 Holstein and 1/2 angus calves. I bought 5 initially and they did great. got another 6 and three died within the first 3 days. the calves were approximately 3-5 days old when I got them. two were more sedentary than the others but one was a star nurser. they just laid down and died. Weren't having symptoms. two didn't nurse well but the other was a champ. Supposedly they had colostrum. Any thoughts on what went wrong. I had them on 2 jersey's. big producing cows so they should have had enough milk.

Sorry to hear about you losing your calves. They can go downhill so fast. Did the calves come straight from the farm, or were they bought through the sale barn? My first thoughts from ones that young would be they could have got something respiratory from the stress of moving to their new environment, or may have got scours and dehydrated. I know you said they weren't showing any symptoms, so I wouldn't think it would have been scours. Did the sides on the ones that didn't nurse well look good and filled out like they were getting enough to eat?

deleasom":2xrnil08 said:
I got another 6 and three died within the first 3 days. the calves were approximately 3-5 days old when I got them.
they just laid down and died. Weren't having symptoms. Any thoughts on what went wrong.
Yes... White Muscle Disease caused by Selenium Deficiency and or Vitamin E deficiency
When calves are born with Selenium/Vitamin E deficiencies the heart muscle weakens and the calf just up and dies
usually during the first week after birth with no real warning.

Give all incoming baby calves a Selenium/vitamin E shot.... BO-SE 3cc per 100 lbs (100 ml bottle $25)
You will have to get it from your Vet because it requires a prescription

Sorry about your loss. Losing calves is never a cheap lesson to learn.
Best of Luck
sob

They came straight from the dairy farm. Supposedly had colostrum and were three days old. They nursed well but looked gangly. Never looked filled out. Urinated well and Had stools.
I will ask my vet for the supplement you mentioned. Thanks for the advice.

Goodness, good advice. I also wondered why local cattlemen are ordering Apple Cider Vinegar by the 4 x 4 tub and found it addresses White Muscle Disease probably because they are giving the cattle high nutrients. Thank you Son of Butch. Here is a link on research http://countrysidenetwork.com/daily/liv ... e-disease/

Also, other research I found showed that it is the chlorine in water mixed with high nutrient diet that cause the problem. Not sure yet but will keep up the study.

Latest posts