Bottle calf update

Help Support CattleToday:

4C Ranch

Reaction score
I posted regarding my bottle baby a couple of weeks ago, he is now 6 weeks and doing fine for now, you never know, I did end up giving his a shot of Baytrill 100 and whatever was going on with him it perked him right up, have not had to follow up. However, I am not sure what he should be eating and drinking and how much. His poop is pretty good most of the time, every once in awhile it is a little loose, but green. He eats some high quality hay and some 4way grain and calf manna and still gets about 1 1/2 quarts of milk replacer twice a day, we have had some pretty hot weather so in the middle of the day I give him about 1 pint of water, he doesn't
seem real energetic, sometimes he bounces around, but it could be his personality....any in put? Thanks

I would keep clean water available to him at all times plus hay and a good calf starter grain , when he is 8 weeks old or so and is eating 2-3 lbs. of grain per day and some hay you can take him off milk, make sure he has enough water ,it does'nt seem like he's getting enough.

If he is sucking a bottle. Fix him some water with electrolytes in it. It comes in packages for a 2 qt. bottle. Let him drink what he wants. Also,give him probios. Like what Shorty said abou the fresh water and hay too. It sounds as though he hasn't learned to drink enough water on his on yet. He will with time.

Thanks for the input....after reading some of the other posts on bottle babies, I don't think I am feeding enough milk replacer, maybe he is not getting enough to eat and needs more for his energy level, also he is in a fenced off part of the horse pasture, about 12ft by 24ft, by himself, does he really need another cow for a roommate, I will take him back to the ranch with the other cows and calves when he is ready, not sure when that is though. The ranch is about 10 miles from the house, but I go everyday and was thinking when he is on milk replacer once a day I could take him to the ranch...Thanks

Latest posts