bottle calf price

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Anybody know what beef bottle calves are bringing these days?

thanks
dun

I bought two last year for $250.00 each, but I'm sure that it is different in other areas of the country. These were from private individuals, not the sale barn. :)

Dun,
I've seen them from 65.00 for a puny looking calf, to an average of 175.00 for a stocky newborn calf. Of course if you are in the market for Holstein Heifer calves, double that amount. Never seen anything like it...

This is for the week old orphan calf. Sure can;t tell she's an orphan from her size or build. BTW her mother brought $57 cwt last wednesday.

dun

I bought a solid black bull calf 120 lbs. for $1.85 lb = $222.00 two weekend ago at the sale barn. A tiny baby went through, weighed 67lbs. went for $140 head price, it looked very weak though. I called about holstein steers, started at $150 and went up, a brahma/char x heifer calf, 2 weeks old was $225 from an individual. Jersey bulls are $100 right now.

Our auction report says $75-$150/hd for "baby calves". I assume that's their term for bottle calves, any breed. Haven't been to the sale barn in some time so I haven't seen what they look like.

When most folks are in the middle of calving season I've seen prices around $250 or $280 per head. Holstein bull calves run $90-$125 here, if you can find them. Jersey/Holstein crosses are $75-$100.

Around here I have seen calves born at the salebarn just before sale go for $150-180. A good week old calf will fetch $300-350. Sure wish I could find some of those prices some of you are seeing. I would buy! :D

i occasionally will pick up one or two at the local sale barn that they pull off a cow in the ring, (bad bag etc)
last two weighed 75# and 65# both cross breeds paid $165 and $135 (both bull calves)
the week before that i paid $125 for a 60# herford hiefer.
i haven't for a couple of yrs but used to be able to buy holstiens from the dairy for $45.00 heard recently that it was now$75
so from what i am seeing being posted it all depends on location location location.

catloverm - you did ok in my eyes. Average on holsteins in this area is $125/head. We used to get some for $100 but lost that source when the owner decided to start raising them himself. A lot of them are charging $150. These prices are for bull calves. A lot more if you try to get any heifers.

I went to the local dairy sale a couple of weeks ago looking for a graft calf. The local dairies are getting $140 for holstein bulls from the route drivers and I thought I might do better at the sale. Holstein bulls were up to $150 depending on size and quality. Two black white heifers brought $180 and $210. Several beef cross bulls were $160 to $225. Good jersey bulls were up to $60. There was one straight angus bull calf that was announced as a two week old twin that his mom wouldn't take. It brought $275.
Dave

I can hardly believe how expensive baby calves are! They are often times such a hassle to deal with but people are paying and arm and a leg for them. Hummm.

We sold a 10 day old bull calf last week at sale barn for $200, man told us that if we could be there to show that it would take a bottle and follow us around like it was that it would bring higher price......we had to go to work tho.

hi just wanted to let you know one of my bull calves got the scours really bad i tried the bleach treatment cause i tried everything else and the next day he was up and doing great thanks alot you all for the input im gonna get some more in a month thank you

Dun
I was at the sale today and watched a little black baldy bull calf that looked to be about 7-10 days old sell. He was a good calf but was so wild they could hardly keep him in the ring!! It took about 2 minutes to sell him and he went for $330 :shock: I am now thinking of early weaning my calves :cboy:

Latest posts