Book help

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC

Reaction score
Angie's post on Civil War books got me to thinking. I've got everyone pegged for Christmas except my mother-in-law. She loves reading books about famous women or not so famous women that have done something exraordinary. Biographies, autobiographies, present day, or any time in history. Any suggestions?

Virginia Hall, known as the "limping lady of the OSS" because of her wooden leg, also played a key role during the Second World War. As the D-Day invasion unfolded, she worked with the French underground to cut electrical lines to telegraph offices, disrupting German communications. She received the Distinguished Service Cross, the second-highest U.S. military award for bravery.

I read several articles on her recently...don't remember why. Anyway, I'd bet there is a book about her...and personally, I would find it fascinating. Just a thought...

Alice

Hippie Rancher":1j8lm0kr said:
Doesn't Hillary Clinton have a book out? ;-) :lol2:

She already has it. Saw it on the table next to her reading chair about a week ago. I'll have to ask her about it next time I talk to her. She's not real political, so her review shouldn't be too tainted either way.

I know you were joking, but that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. Thanks.

Hippie Rancher":ui3vurcv said:

As a matter of fact she does. It's the world's thinnest book.

"Things I love about Bill"

OR

"Har-Monica fer Dummies"

Woman of Valor, Clara Barton and the Civil War.

P.S. She was founder of the Red Cross

Crowderfarms":309cfoho said:
Hippie Rancher":309cfoho said:

As a matter of fact she does. It's the world's thinnest book.

"Things I love about Bill"

OR

"Har-Monica fer Dummies"

:lol: :lol:

How about:

Joan of Arc?

Annie Oakley?

That woman who lived with the apes that was murdered by poachers!

Liberty: The Lives and Times of Six Women in Revolutionary France
by Lucy Moore

From Booklist
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" for the six women through whose public and private lives Moore presents a fresh history of the French Revolution. Salonnieres Germaine de Stael and Manon Roland were early enthusiasts but later paid a price (a very heavy price in the case of Roland, who was guillotined) for their moderate views. Theroigne de Mericourt and Pauline Leon sought more activist roles. One of glamorous beauty Theresia de Fontenay's romantic entanglements helped trigger Robespierre's fall, and Juliette Recamier, a schoolgirl when the Revolution began, became an icon of the next generation. Using the Revolution's progress as her framework, Moore (who also wrote Maharanis, 2004), interweaves the six women's stories to show how each helped steer or was steered by the course of events. For all their talk of equality, some of the Revolution's most fervent leaders were uninterested in, if not violently opposed to, women's rights, and Moore's subjects had to contend with this as well as with the general havoc of the time. Riveting and revelatory.

Body of Work--Meditations on mortality from the human anatomy lab

The author is Christine Montross; she's a resident in psychiatry.

If you ever wanted to get inside the head of a medical student during the human anatomy lab, this is the book for you!

Outstanding, incisive (no pun intended), thorough, astonishing in its depth and clarity as she struggles to learn all she must and deal with the emotional consequences of cutting into a donated body.

You go on her voyage of self-discovery as she becomes a medical doctor.

Fair Game by Valery Plame complete with blacked out redactions
( ;-) sorry can't resist - still it sounds like a good book)

I'll try to get some more tomorrow.

VanC":2xpnnr6g said:
Angie's post on Civil War books got me to thinking. I've got everyone pegged for Christmas except my mother-in-law. She loves reading books about famous women or not so famous women that have done something exraordinary. Biographies, autobiographies, present day, or any time in history. Any suggestions?

How about Clara Barton, Harriet Tubman, Sydney Bartow(not exactly sure I've got her last name right, though), Gloria Steinam(sp?), or Rosa Parks? I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

1848":yzp8vdbl said:
How about "Sophie's Choice"
Not Sophie's Choice.
It is the saddest thing ever, and haunts me 20 years later.
1848 ~ have you read it?
I am not trying to be critical of your choice, is an amazing story, just so terribly sad.

Mrs. Mike

It's a true story about a young lady's life in 1907, moving to Canada and married to Sergeant Mike, of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. I haven't read it in several years but I do remember it was an amazing tale and I remember really enjoying the story.

It's about sacrifices, and the strength of a woman. It is sad.

Margaret Sanger was named one of the 100 most important women in the 20th century and all women have her to thank for taking charge of their own birth control.

Latest posts