Bombproof Kid Horses

Help Support CattleToday:

if its truly the horse and the guy won't refund your money I know what I would do . I have several horses but I don't let anyone ride my cow horse . I ride with a real lite hand and use my legs mostly . I can't stand to see someone yanking on a horses mouth .

Agree with the last post. Horses WILL ALWAYS go to the ability of the rider. It IS possible to have highly well trained ( $$) horses - that if inexperienced children keep giving inconsistent cues- or yanking, kicking etc.. the horse will go "beserk" out of sheer fustration. Not for nothin' but the BEST kids horses I have EVER come across - are the old ones. Babysitters- been there done that horses. Best place to find THEM/ Local 4H offices ( older kids going off to college ) FFA class teachers ( same ) -HS RODEO associations, Little Britches Rodeo etc... American DUDE ranch assoc. ( Guest ranches thinning their guest ranch horse herds ) and believe it or not ?? RESCUE Horses such as US Equine Rescue League and others ... Since you saw the horses work, and they seemed ok, perhaps put a really knowlegeable rider on there and see the horse go thru the paces, if all is ok? you have your answer. Sounds like kid and horse just don't "click" anyway.. I would try to get the seller to take the horse back- or sell it, and find something more KID friendly, try looking at the above places. Sorry you had a bad experience. Just playing "devils advocate" that it is NOT always the dealer ( or the horses fault). :hat:

MistyMorning":wc2rrljd said:
I'n not altogether sure if there is such a thing as a "bombproof" horse, given the nature of horses pysche and all.

There absolutely are bombproof horses, although they are few and far between. I know this is because we currently have a bombproof horse being boarded on our property. I don't know whether they are born, or made, but I have seen that horse exposed to all kinds of things, and he doesn't blink an eye at any of them. The owners have been teaching their 7 year old daughter to ride on him, and she is as safe on his back - with or without even a halter - as she would be in either of her parents arms. That horse is worth his weight in gold!

Thank you all for your thoughts. I took the horses in question over to a very well-known trainer to have him evaluate them to see how to try to sell them. They did wonderfully, and he said he figured they were good kid horses. Put an ad on his website. He priced them at $2500. Got a call from a woman looking for a horse for her 10 year old son. When she came out, he was going to demonstrate them, and they both tried to buck him off, and one tried to run away with him. You guessed it, no sale.

To make the long story short, I have 3 horses for sale-$1,200 each or all 3 for $3,000. For an additional $10,000, I'll throw in a 2009 WW Brightline Horseman trailer for them to ride in.

I am just totally tired of getting screwed by horse people and the horses they rode in on. I'm going to pi$$ away my next $20,000 on something else---maybe cattle.

I wish that I could give their names, but I really don't have time or money to be fighting a lawsuit.

I

I live in the Houston, TX area and am looking for horses for my grand kids, would sure like to know the name of this person in Tomball. Thanks

cowgirllinda1952":2yve6xpu said:
I

I live in the Houston, TX area and am looking for horses for my grand kids, would sure like to know the name of this person in Tomball. Thanks

I would give some seriouse thought in looking for a POA gelding for them grandkids. I have been around a few and they are by far the most consistantly level headed calm horse there is for a kid that can come in a smaller package without having all the pony attitude. Granted there are hot and calm in every breed but i have been very impressed with the ones i came across and most of them were just threw auctions. matter in fact only horse i would have ever called a true kid bobproof horse was POA welsh cross and she was one of the rare few that would take care of her rider 100% of the time no if and or buts.

I've gotta agree with you on the POA. The majority of them I have been around are great for kids. You can put a pretty nice handle on them most of the time to. I've also seen a few halflingers that were used as an amish school bus. They make a good kid horse when you find one.

msscamp":13bqliud said:
MistyMorning":13bqliud said:
I'n not altogether sure if there is such a thing as a "bombproof" horse, given the nature of horses pysche and all.

There absolutely are bombproof horses, although they are few and far between. I know this is because we currently have a bombproof horse being boarded on our property. I don't know whether they are born, or made, but I have seen that horse exposed to all kinds of things, and he doesn't blink an eye at any of them. The owners have been teaching their 7 year old daughter to ride on him, and she is as safe on his back - with or without even a halter - as she would be in either of her parents arms. That horse is worth his weight in gold!

Hey MS, haven't heard from you in a while, glad to see you're still around! :tiphat: Okay now for the other half, there is sure as heck no such thing as a bomb proof horse. Maybe a change in diet and test of a new owner or just a test in general. ANY HORSE ANY DAY! They are not 4 wheelers that you jump on cold and know what buttons to push to get the reaction you want. No such thing as a bomb proof horse. Horses will push the envelope to see if they can gain ground on their handler all the time.

Alan

There's a horse trader near where I grew up who brings in any kind of horse he can buy cheap. Beats them, drugs them and God only knows what else then tries to pass them off as bomb proof. He used to take some of them to saddle club gatherings where he would sometimes sell them after demonstrating their "gentleness" . He has literally been put out of business by people outing his practices! :clap:
BTW..My son's first and most beloved ride was a mule named Ruthie, babysitter supreme!

One thing I would check is saddle fit.
In many cases it is either a sore back, or a horse horse had been "cowboyed" when the parents were not around.
When one begins to act up all of the sudden I first look for sensitive areas.
I hope they did not sedate the horse. Especially for kids.

RHScattle":3w4nb7dz said:
There's a horse trader near where I grew up who brings in any kind of horse he can buy cheap. Beats them, drugs them and God only knows what else then tries to pass them off as bomb proof. He used to take some of them to saddle club gatherings where he would sometimes sell them after demonstrating their "gentleness" . He has literally been put out of business by people outing his practices! :clap:
BTW..My son's first and most beloved ride was a mule named Ruthie, babysitter supreme!

yeah i have come across a few that were hit up on some bute then when wore off they were something else. but one did get sold for a bareback horse i did turn a penny on him. rest were sent for dog food. cause sure wouldnt do that to no one myself.

Alan":2283ouly said:
msscamp":2283ouly said:
MistyMorning":2283ouly said:

Hey MS, haven't heard from you in a while, glad to see you're still around! :tiphat: Okay now for the other half, there is sure as heck no such thing as a bomb proof horse. Maybe a change in diet and test of a new owner or just a test in general. ANY HORSE ANY DAY! They are not 4 wheelers that you jump on cold and know what buttons to push to get the reaction you want. No such thing as a bomb proof horse. Horses will push the envelope to see if they can gain ground on their handler all the time.

Alan

99.999999999999999999999% of the time your right here. but when we was kids we had a definate bomb proof horse. this little poa mare she had the strongest mother instincs youd ever see. when you rode her she watched out for you. she would never go across anything that might need to be jumped like a run of water if there was a kid on her back dad could get right on her and she would jump it but just not with a kid. when you fell off her she would turn her head look for you and come to a stop almost always putting you on the ground somewhat softly(well softly for falling off a moving horse). when it was a raining outside i remember sitting under her when was little and laughing cause was actin like milking her. there wasnt nothing she didnt mind. he77 i even remember one time was standing outside giving her sugar cubes and my mom come outside fit to kill ready to whoop some be nice just a cussing and screaming that old mare laid her ears back and got in front of me and my brother and let her know she wasnt coming closer. would chase at her paw the ground bite at the air than come back get in front of us and blow air. ol mom she yelled for us to get over there now but the old mare she wouldnt let it happen. if we walked closer she chased her farther away. any other time was nice to mom as could be.
You just had to see ol sparky when she had her when she had her kids around she was compleatly different horse than when by herself. even if something went off or anything that should make you jump she didnt do much more than tense up and look to see if you was still there. one time riding and ended up over top rattle snake she just got real stiff ol hair on her stood up. than she looked back make sure guy was still there and went just stepping as light as any dressage horse you ever seen like she was tip toes out of there. got her from dennis back in the horse killing days when he would go threw thousands of horses a year and i mean thousands. took 5 years before he found her for my dad. my dad was even offered a blank check for her and dennis told him fill it out for 100 thousand the guy will make it good. he has lots of money but his kid just got put in hospital cause of a horse that wasnt advertised right and he will pay for a real bompproof horse so his kid can ride. my dads answer was my kids would hate me that horse is like family and taught them all to ride and for that she will die on this place. might be hard for you to believe without ever seeing one but you can come across a true bomproof horse.

with exception to her though i would say every other bombproof horse i seen was a lie, a beginers horse at best on most of them that just are dead acting with no go. but if they are bit stung or spooked the kid will have one heck of a ride at best, its just thier natural instinct.

I've owned truly bomb-proof horses before. The last "bomb proof" that I bought a couple years ago was very quiet, calm at introduction and try-out . Not so when we got him home. He dumped me -- actually flew me pretty high -- with no provocation except "move." On the ground, he was a total gentleman. The seller purported to be 70-something and the owner/trainer. Well, after the fact, and after the wreck, in doing some research, figured out that this guy goes to sales, turns horses over fast. And doesn't raise/train any of them. And we found other people that had been screwed by the guy -- 10 or so that just came up via Craigslist posts. So, several of us across E. WA that had been taken by this guy started cross-posting warnings every time he put a horse up for sale. One of the "screwee's" lived in the same neighborhood, so it was easy for her to identify pics of the horses on the place, even when he tried to change his advertizing, because the horse matched the horse pictured on the place. Have not seen anything for sale from him for over a year. Does my little heart good!

Hello, my name is Linda, new here, and just saw your post. I am in Baytown, TX., close to Houston, and will soon be looking for a horse or a couple of them for my grand kids. I have heard about a horse trader in Tomball, but never been there. I do know there was a lady in Texas who was selling unbroke horses as kids horses and shipping them out of state and scamming them out of their money.

I have heard there is a trader in the New Caney/Splendora area who sells horses as "bomb proof". They have great reviews, but who knows? Maybe some people are happy, but they could also make the reviews up. Another ranch with a similiar name, told me they are unscrupulous, and get their customers by trading off on their name.

You can contact The Rip Off report to report the trader in Tomball, so others will be warned.

IMHO, it is often better to buy from individuals, rather then traders, even if you need several horses, or go to a reputable dealer, and take an experienced horse person with you.

I also would like the name of the trader in Tomball, and will pass on the names of the two others I have, if you email me. Hope this helps.

cowgirllinda1952":4ata9d33 said:
Hello, my name is Linda, new here, and just saw your post. I am in Baytown, TX., close to Houston, and will soon be looking for a horse or a couple of them for my grand kids. I have heard about a horse trader in Tomball, but never been there. I do know there was a lady in Texas who was selling unbroke horses as kids horses and shipping them out of state and scamming them out of their money.

I have heard there is a trader in the New Caney/Splendora area who sells horses as "bomb proof". They have great reviews, but who knows? Maybe some people are happy, but they could also make the reviews up. Another ranch with a similiar name, told me they are unscrupulous, and get their customers by trading off on their name.

You can contact The Rip Off report to report the trader in Tomball, so others will be warned.

IMHO, it is often better to buy from individuals, rather then traders, even if you need several horses, or go to a reputable dealer, and take an experienced horse person with you.

I also would like the name of the trader in Tomball, and will pass on the names of the two others I have, if you email me. Hope this helps.
Linda, anyone that's dealt with horses has probably dealt with a bad seller. Dealers are mongers. Sometimes, private sellers aren't much better if they are in a hardship spot. Your own advice is good -- take an experienced person w/ you AND get a pre-purchase vet check by a vet that isn't tied to the seller.

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to say that these people have changed the name of their business, and have several bad reports about them on rip off reports. They actually "stole" a lady's horse that she sent there for training, they claimed she had died. I also noticed they have not updated their website in quite sometime. The site makes them sound like respectable people. As said here, no matter how bad the reputation, they can always find new suckers. Jim, did you ever figure out what to do with those geldings? That is such a shame, knowing they were bought for kids.

Latest posts