Bombproof Kid Horses

Help Support CattleToday:

Jim62

Reaction score
Regarding people who sell broncs as kid horses----------Is it possible to dope a horse for a 3 or 4 day duration?

Horses in question were calm, responsive rides on Wednesday and totally berserk on Sunday.

A drug called Rakelin (Reserpine) has a calming effective without sedating, works better on geldings than mares. Many horses will scour with it until they become used to it, so that can be suggestive of it having been used. I found that it tones a horse down rather than having a dramatic effect.
Ken

What I'm wondering is if there's anything that could be given, say early Wednesday morning and the effects last until Saturday. That Reserpin sounds like the right effect, but it would need to be redone every day, right?

Coincidentally, I have 3 QH geldings for sale pretty cheap. :dunce: :compute:

Jim62":3u3ibx83 said:
What I'm wondering is if there's anything that could be given, say early Wednesday morning and the effects last until Saturday. That Reserpin sounds like the right effect, but it would need to be redone every day, right?

Coincidentally, I have 3 QH geldings for sale pretty cheap. :dunce: :compute:

Where's the SOB who sold em to you?

why vet checks are HIGHLY reccomended..:(

Yes, there are some long lasting tranqs avialable.

I also take into consideration..change of scenary and change of food in making a horse alittle goofy.

Did you see said horses caught, tacked up and ridden?

Seller is in Tomball, Texas. Fairly well known in the horse business, and of a fairly good reputation. I really hate to accuse, but I can't really come up with anything other than drugging. I did see them caught and tacked up, and rode both of them for quite a while, probably 30 - 45 minutes each. They were both gentle and responsive as could be.

Yesterday, they were not "out of sorts", they were BERSERK.

But, as we say, it was a good $4000 lesson, and learned well. :cry2:

Thanks, y'all.

Jim62":1ffqcgkr said:
Seller is in Tomball, Texas. Fairly well known in the horse business, and of a fairly good reputation. I really hate to accuse, but I can't really come up with anything other than drugging. I did see them caught and tacked up, and rode both of them for quite a while, probably 30 - 45 minutes each. They were both gentle and responsive as could be.

Yesterday, they were not "out of sorts", they were BERSERK.

But, as we say, it was a good $4000 lesson, and learned well. :cry2:

Thanks, y'all.

Have you TALKED to the seller. If he is that reputable then I doubt he would want this kind of story going on about his horses?

Yep, talked to them yesterday. Their "reputation" is apparently ill-deserved. In most horse deals there is an understood period of 7 or 10 days that if a horse just doesn't work out for some reason, you take it back, they return your money, and everybody's happy.

After 5 days, their answer was basically "Screw you. If you don't like the horses, sell them".

In most cases, it seems that horse sellers really don't care what kind of stories are out about them. I suppose there are just too many prospective new suckers out there for it to make any difference.

And, don't get me started about building contractors.................... :compute: :hide:

I have a friend who buys and sells horses alot
Her trick is to ask the seller if she can send her vet over to pull blood to check for tranks.
The dopers always refuse or offer for their vet to do it. She'll pass and walk away.
It doesn't cost her a thing and its been very effective.

They can get in alot of trouble if the right vet(indignant) gets a hold of them(or their vet)

Do you mind sending the name in a PM? A dad in our 4-H club is shopping for a horse for his daughter (beginner rider) and he told me yesterday that he is going to the Tomball area to look at horses this weekend. He mentioned that the seller is a dealer.

They dad is very naive. Thanks.

ETA: yes there are tranquilizers that can be given that will make a horse mellow as long as a week. Generally, they are used for nervous horses that have to be kept on stall rest.

If I bought a boumbproof kid horse for my boys and told them that's what I needed and found out they had done that for sure one of us would be leaving with a severe azz whooping. I'm not even sure the money would even matter, someone wants to do that it would be bad. I can put up with lots of things but that would be one that would have no slack at all.

I'n not altogether sure if there is such a thing as a "bombproof" horse, given the nature of horses pysche and all. Put them in a new environment and most will have some reaction to it, but completely berserk? That's another story altogether. Sorry to hear of your issues with these horses, there are decent horse sellers out there, but there are far to many of the disreputable kind, kinda like used car salesmen.

Have they settled down over the past few days at all?

happens alot experienced horseman,, sells a horse...horse trys inexperienced rider,,, rider gets a little nervous.. horse pulls another trick and its a snowball effect

ALACOWMAN":36zcmmpr said:
happens alot experienced horseman,, sells a horse...horse trys inexperienced rider,,, rider gets a little nervous.. horse pulls another trick and its a snowball effect

Except I believe they were sold as kids horses. This guy shoulda went back with a club and got a refund if the seller knowingly sold him a rank horse for his kid.

3waycross":2srei2ck said:
ALACOWMAN":2srei2ck said:

Except I believe they were sold as kids horses. This guy shoulda went back with a club and got a refund if the seller knowingly sold him a rank horse for his kid.
I sold a horse several yrs ago that my 3yr old daughter rode and this horse was broke to death and I had never seen or known of the horse to give anyone a problem except when we broke her and she was hard to break would buck everytime you got onher and really liked it
she was this way for a yr or so but she wasn't unpredictable you knew she was gonna buck when you got on her
Finaly one day she just quit
I sent her to a cutting horse trainer and she was good
I used her as a ranch horse for several yrs my oldest daughter started riding this mare when the horse was 6 or 7 and my daughter was 5
then my youngest daughter rode this mare when the mare was16 or 17 and my daughter was 3
when a kid was on this horse she done great and never made a bobble and I have picks where the kids have her in the creek with 4 or 5 on her back jumping off in the water using her as a diving board
We finally decided to sell her to a guy who's daughter needed a good broke horse for his 6 yr old daughter and they had bought som bad horses that didn't work out

I agreed to sell him the horse and his daughter came over and rode the horse about 15- or 20 tmes in a month just so they knew for sure that they could get along with her

They finally took the mare home and called 2 weeks later and said the mare was mean and wasn't broke enough for their daughter or anyone else for that matter

I loaded up and went over there to see
I asked the guy to go catch the mare and saddle and bridle her so I could see what she was doing
well the guy caought her and started leading her to the tack room and everytime the mare got with 2-3ft of him he would hit her with his hand or the lead rope because he said she was charging him (she wasn't) the mare was trained to walk with her head about a ft behnd twhoever was leading her and about a ft to the side
I stopped him loaded the mare and gave him his money back and told him that he should never own a horse again
a bad or inexperienced person can ruin a good horse quick and some people should never own a horse
I took the horse back home and she never had had a problem other than if you moved real quik around her head for awhile she would try and run backwards away from you if you were on the ground

not saying this is the case but sometimes it is the new owners fault not the horses

I stepped onto a mare that I've owned for a little over a year now with spurs for the first time today and had an easy little bronc-ride for the first time in years.
I've had my kids on her, my wife(who doesn't ride)on her, my dad... I've put quite a few miles on her myself...NO problems.
I stepped up on her with spurs after getting off a horse that needs them and she just got MAD and I never even tapped her. Even after I pulled them off she let me know she wasn't happy. :nod: Her previous owner was a female roper that liked to yank their head away from them and spur because she had spurs on and I guess I reminded that mare of her.
I got her quieted back down and put my boy on her and she worked like nothing had ever happened.

Latest posts