Body Condition Score?

Help Support CattleToday:

edb130

Reaction score
Being new to beef cattle. I keep hearing people talk about cows should be a bcs 5 or 6. I don't know how to look at an animal and judge their score so I was wondering if I post this picture if I could get some feedback as to what condition this cow is in as she represents what most of my cattle look like. I don't know if her 3 month old heifer in front of her will cause any problems but I am wondering what opinions are about the heifer are as well, does she look like she is a good prospect for my son to show in July and August of 06.

DSC00727.jpg

It would be easier to see without the calf there, but from what I can see, she looks to me like a BCS 6 or 7. JMO.

El_Putzo":3t5dksm3 said:
It would be easier to see without the calf there, but from what I can see, she looks to me like a BCS 6 or 7. JMO.
Also would be easier to see if there was a rear view shot along with the side view. Agree with James, the calf is in the way for a good view, but she appears to be a 6 to 7 BCS.
And yes, the hfr would be OK for a beginning shower, but don't expect to be a major winner, unless there is hardly any competition.

from what I can see if all your cows look like that then you dont have to worry about anything. Is calf crossbred or just bleached from sun? cant tell much from that pic but would be ok for show as long as it is gentle and can be broke to lead well. JHH

JHH":15129fv0 said:
from what I can see if all your cows look like that then you dont have to worry about anything. Is calf crossbred or just bleached from sun? cant tell much from that pic but would be ok for show as long as it is gentle and can be broke to lead well. JHH

I've seen plenty of blacks born that color.

Thanks for the all the reply's. The calf is not crossbred it is purebred limousin when it was born it was black as could be and I assume that the color is a winter baby coat.

I'd go with a 6 just looking at the topline and hindquarters. Its possible it could be a 7, good looking cow.

I'll go with 6-7 too. I like the udder on the cow too.(From what I can see of it)

How many calves has this cow had?

la4angus,

I don't expect to win as we have never shown before but I would like to be prepared and do things right for my son's sake. Please explain where she is weak and is there anything we can do to prepare her and make her better. She is currently 3months and 3 days old and gets milk from momma, pasture/hay, and creep feed with a 13% beef mix. We have not started to halter break or brush her as she won't be showing until late July early August and we planned on weaning her in May and starting to work with her then. Thanks for any input. Sorry I'm not a professional photographer. Didn't get one from the back.
DSC00734.jpg
DSC00735.jpg

Latest posts