Body Builder calf

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Here are a couple pictures of our Body Builder. Don't know where the Double Muscleing came from... Mama was in the Community pasture and Bred to a Registered BA bull. Not the only one that came out of there that was unexpected either.

9calf4.jpg

9calf6.jpg

For comparison, a average (maybe below average calf)
9calf127calf.jpg

Here is mama.
9pair.jpg

I have to show my ignorance here but would someone please explain what constitutes a double-muscled calf. I guess I have never seen one or didn't know what I was looking at.

Green Creek":1fozhyxh said:
I have to show my ignorance here but would someone please explain what constitutes a double-muscled calf. I guess I have never seen one or didn't know what I was looking at.
doesnt mean a extra muscle or two of the same. it means twice the muscle. or 20% more muscle mass. well put together. looks good ;-)

I some how passed over the fact it was a heifer. I guess because it is so built up more like a bull.
But either way, post her picture later on when the grows a bit"
Chuckie

i'm not convinced of double muscling in the calf you picture. give it a few weeks.

not double-muscled.
1L-side.jpg

Chuckie":1miadeww said:
I some how passed over the fact it was a heifer. I guess because it is so built up more like a bull.
But either way, post her picture later on when the grows a bit"
Chuckie

I will. We will be watching her with interest.

Aero":1ttzl78t said:
i'm not convinced of double muscling in the calf you picture. give it a few weeks.

not double-muscled.
1L-side.jpg

I'm with Aero on this one, I doubt its double muscled. There wasn't by any chance a Limousin bull also in that pasture or the neighbouring pasture?

No, no limosin bulls in the neighbouring pastures or in that pasture. And, Limo is not a very highly used breed in this country either.

I have been around a lot of limo's in the past as my Uncle used to use them extensively, and this just doesn't look quite right for Limo. Or Simmental either. And, it is black so definitely not Charolais.

This calf was born March 25, so it isn't quite a month old in those pictures, it is muscled evenly from hip to shoulder, Man is she ever wide across the back. I realize this isn't all from the bull. That cow usually throws well muscled calves, this is a lot more than usual.

Here she is the day she was born
9calf.jpg

At about 2 weeks old
9calfrearb.jpg

And at around 1 month
9calf4.jpg

It sure is hard to take well defined pictures of a black animal ;-)

The genes Piedmontese cattle, after birth, they look normal, but then as time goes by, the muscle kicks in. Maybe the full bodied calf posted is a little further along.

Your heifer looks like she is really expanding. I wonder if she has Piedmontese somewhere down the line or one of the other muscled cattle breeds?

She is a pretty calf.
Chuckie

Chuckie":1cfrmmha said:
The genes Piedmontese cattle, after birth, they look normal, but then as time goes by, the muscle kicks in. Maybe the full bodied calf posted is a little further along.

Your heifer looks like she is really expanding. I wonder if she has Piedmontese somewhere down the line or one of the other muscled cattle breeds?

She is a pretty calf.
Chuckie

No Piedmontese or any other double muscled breed that I can imagine on the cow's side. Who knows on the bull's but he is supposed to be Registered Black Angus to be in the community pasture.