BO-SE

Help Support CattleToday:

Alice

Reaction score
Is bo-se a one dose treatment, or is it a treatment over a certain period of time?

Thanks, Alice

Usually just one dose - however I have repeated it in about 5-7 days if the calf shows no improvement.

Thank you, Milkmaid. I do appreciate it.
:)
Alice

BoSe & MuSe gives an immediate supply of SE - but it only lasts 30 days. We only give newborns the single shot at birth (unless they are dumb suckers) but they have mineral with high doses of SE in it available 24/7 the rest of their lives.

Jeanne- that reminds me; not only does it not last that long, but my vet told me the other day that the selenium takes about 15 days to be absorbed (completely) in the first place.

I give a dose of MU-SE twice a year with Vit A, D. Is this helping the cattle since it only last for 30 days or so?

Thanks,
Alan

Well, it's helping for 60 days out of the year. It can be given at crucial times, like prior to calving (within 30 days) and prior to breeding (within 30 days). Other than that, it is VERY expensive way to get SE into them.
We have our mineral special mixed with extra SE, which is provided 365 days a year. Super cheap. Costs lots less per year in the mineral than giving shots and a lot easier. I figure it costs us about $0.10/day/per head for all their mineral needs.

I'm going to have to rethink giving MU-SE twice and year since it is only good for 30 days. I will continue to give it to new calves. Any one know how long the Vit A,D is in the system?

Thanks
Alan

Alan":1rtjnpj2 said:
I'm going to have to rethink giving MU-SE twice and year since it is only good for 30 days. I will continue to give it to new calves. Any one know how long the Vit A,D is in the system?

Thanks
Alan

Alan, since vitamins A and D are both fat soluble I would think they are there until they are utilized fully by the body. That would vary from situation to situation depending on how high the need was, and the amount of the deficiency, plus a lot of other factors as well probably. I'm not sure I've answered your question, but I'm not sure there is a pat answer to your question. I hope this helps, if not disregard it.

Alan, I wouldn't quit giving the shots if that's the only source of SE they are getting. I would give them at stategic timings if possible.
But, if you got on a good mineral program WITH SE, than giving up the shots would be fine. BUT, as you said, do NOT stop giving it to newborns even after a good mineral program is put into affect.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2fcdxmik said:
Alan, I wouldn't quit giving the shots if that's the only source of SE they are getting. I would give them at stategic timings if possible.
But, if you got on a good mineral program WITH SE, than giving up the shots would be fine. BUT, as you said, do NOT stop giving it to newborns even after a good mineral program is put into affect.

Thanks, MS and Jeanne,

I do have a solid mineral program going, have had for all the short number of years I have been raising cattle. We have very poor SE in my area, so I was under the belief that the shots help them for a number of months not just 30 days. I will continue to give the new borns the shot.

Thanks again,
Alan

Latest posts