Blueprint plans for a DIY welding a cattle chute squeeze

Help Support CattleToday:

yosi

Reaction score
This is my first post too, but I can tell ya I bought a used Teco with a serial number from 1969 and I can tell ya that it is sooo strong and I only have 600 in it, I could not buy material for this much let alone take the time to weld it up, all I am saying is that it was really easy to find a used chute that was in great working order for cheap
Brandon

You can use the second for some of the basic measurements. Throw the head gate design in the trash. I couldn't find the tail gate design.
I would take a lot of picks and measurements of designs that worked.
I have bought or been given old squeeze chutes ( old WWs' with side gates and self catching head gate ) that I rebuilt and modernized. It is far less expensive. ( But you had better own a sand blaster. )
Building something like this seems great at the time but even if you have the time and ability the reality is that you could buy one about as cheap. There is a lot of pieces on these things that would require a very complete fab shop to build. A guy I know started his about 20 years ago. He still insists he will finish it some day.

The thing is, I'm from Israel, finding a good used one here won't be easy. Buying from the US the shipping alone will probably cost more than buying a new one.

I'm really handy and have access to an industrial workshop where I work, so I got all the tools.
It's only a question of finding the right design.
I can't really measure myself other designs that work cause I don't have access to them.

The chute part is easy, getting the headgate right is the tough part. The best I can suggest would be to contact a number of manufacturers, like W-W, Priefert, etc and get their literature and try to reverse engineer one from that.

I built one a few years ago. I just googled cattle crush and searched the literature of manufactures until I found a brochure that actually gave the dimensions in plan and elevation, it is important to get these right, if you just guess you tend to make it too big and they have too much room to move. Once the frame is made then the head bale can be fabricated from photos as suggested.
Ken

yosi":3u1p9fjs said:
The thing is, I'm from Israel, finding a good used one here won't be easy. Buying from the US the shipping alone will probably cost more than buying a new one.

I'm really handy and have access to an industrial workshop where I work, so I got all the tools.
It's only a question of finding the right design.
I can't really measure myself other designs that work cause I don't have access to them.

Tell us some more about your cows and what your doing. Thanks in advance.

My advice would be to forget the automatic head gate.
some of them catch cows okay but cows don't like em and get harder to work as time goes by.
by nature to catch the cows they have to function hard and fast and usually cause enough grief that cows learn to hate em.
or if they are easy walk thrus cattle learn how to pull back and walk thru....it is amazing how quickly they learn how to do this.....
I always take the time to catch each head myself. but then I work by myself.
quiet cowboys with easy ways....
quiet processes with gentle handling....
make quiet and easily handled cattle.
does not happen over night but it is better than mechanical fixes.
I know.....some don't have time to do things right .....
but they have time to do them over....

I'll be following this thread with interest as I'm building new yards soon and will be building my own crush (I have been looking for a 2nd hand Vet crush for the last year and can't find one I can afford)

Latest posts