Bloodbath at the sale

Help Support CattleToday:

I may be wrong, but I know a few breeders in New York and there complaint is lack of audience. There are not a ton of registered breeders up that way at least not for Herefords. I received 10 emails over the course of the last week with invitations and ads for that sale. Most of the breeders in the northeast come down south to Maryland and Virginia, where prices are still pretty good for us. In October, I talked to a farm from Connecticut that consigned in the same sale we did in Maryland and they said that, that was their best opportunity to market their registered animals.

js1234":3ev2gn7p said:
farmerjan":3ev2gn7p said:
Nesikep":3ev2gn7p said:
Couple great posts there Farmerjan, and I wholeheartedly agree

I have relatives in europe, and there it's a little different, but the end result is the same,.. Over there, they get completely flooded with paperwork so the farmer isn't farming anymore...

100 years or so ago, being a farmer meant financial security, independence, and a certain amount of prestige/respect in the community. You busted your butt and achieved something, had something to show for the long hours, and supported a family, and something to leave for the next generation. Today ??????
I think in many, many cases, it still does.
I think the respect is there among our peers, but among the general population not at all

js1234":wr12pstm said:
farmerjan":wr12pstm said:
100 years or so ago, being a farmer meant financial security, independence, and a certain amount of prestige/respect in the community. You busted your butt and achieved something, had something to show for the long hours, and supported a family, and something to leave for the next generation. Today ??????
I think in many, many cases, it still does.

Certainly many are struggling, but there are also some family operations that are doing well. I try to learn from them. I try to not overpay for land. What I see are:

- Some farther/son operations that have equity and scale and some rented land leverage. Able to balance income and risk and cost cutting. Grandpa got them going and they never looked back.
- Some country squires who inherited a lot of acres and keep it up. Probably not making a pile but have a new truck and take vacations. Nice when you can inherit it.
- Some imports who sold high priced real estate and doubled down in a lower cost area. Quickest way to get wealthy - - move to an area where people have less than you!
- Skilled hustlers who focus on several niches and make a living at it. Often do farming/trucking or production/construction or production/marketing or ranching/rental property.

MRRherefords":9x1gzooq said:
I may be wrong, but I know a few breeders in New York and there complaint is lack of audience. There are not a ton of registered breeders up that way at least not for Herefords. I received 10 emails over the course of the last week with invitations and ads for that sale. Most of the breeders in the northeast come down south to Maryland and Virginia, where prices are still pretty good for us. In October, I talked to a farm from Connecticut that consigned in the same sale we did in Maryland and they said that, that was their best opportunity to market their registered animals.

There are def some topnotch Angus breeders up here. And as one of the above posters notes, recent bull sales have been good. I'm wondering if that's a function of people retaining heifers/cows, so now bull demand is up?

You're correct that there are not nearly as many Herfs here. Lots of Angus (mostly black but some nice reds around if you look), Sim, SimAngus, some Charolais, and of course lots of dairy.

Brute 23":2f9qjp6z said:
Supa Dexta":2f9qjp6z said:
boondocks":2f9qjp6z said:
I have a nice 6yo registered mama (has had 4 nice calves) that instead of re-breeding I may just burger. or dog food. Jackals, whatever. :(

That makes no sense.

I thought the same thing... seemed odd. :???:

She's open and I don't want to feed her through another winter. Hay costs up here will kill ya. Anything we keep thru the winter that's not too young has to be bred. At the moment, there's apparently less demand around here for an open 6yo than there is for burger. So, we shall see. If someone comes along in the next few weeks, they'll get a decent deal on her. Otherwise, she will likely go to the grill. We have nice younger ones and really are overstocked even for the summer. (Due to about 80% heifer calves the past 4 yrs). Not ideal but sometimes it's hard choices....

M-5":16eigxpo said:
2014 made people think that every calf was a 1000.00 and good cows 2500.00 in reality it's no different than it is historically. Of course everyone wants higher prices but if your basing your break even on 14 your not gonna make it

yep..things are back to what they were before the huge spike a few yrs ago..them days are gone

Son of Butch":vdfut7im said:
boondocks":vdfut7im said:
She's open and I don't want to feed her through another winter. Hay costs up here will kill ya.
Perhaps advertise her as registered Open cow/calf pair (NO Bull) bcs by putting her with a bull now = March calf

We'll be starting to breed AI in late June, but I'm loathe to put any more $ into her. We're already short on pasture for the summer, so need to downsize some anyway.

Have had several nibbles but they turn out to be just kicking tires....

Latest posts