BLOAT

Help Support CattleToday:

NOPLCLKNEB

Reaction score
Hello, just joined this site today and I have a question on bloat and alfalfa.

This will be my 3rd year in the cattle business, (very small scale). What I've been doing is buying light weight steers (400-500 lbs) in late April and running them on grass until the grass runs out (usually September).

Two years ago I seeded 9 acres back to pasture from row crop. The seed I planted is big bluestem, little bluestem, western wheat grass, alfalfa, and yellow clover.

This spring I'm going to fence this 9 acres in and it will be connected to another native grass pasture of about 10 acres. Right now my best guess is the new pasture is about 30 % alfalfa, 20% clover, 15% native grass and 35% weeds.

Should I wait untill the alfalfa is mature before letting them in there, I was hoping to get them in there in early May so they would eat a bunch of the young weeds, but I'm worried about bloat. I also plan on burning it in late April.

I guess my main question is how much do I have to worry about bloat on this new pasture.

Thanks

Rob

You can get bloat blocks from the local elevator. Make sure they have access to those blocks all the time. And turn them out with bellies full of hay. Just keep an eye on them. My cattle are used to that kind grass, just watch them.

OH, welcome to the baords!!!

certherfbeef":1s9iwm10 said:
You can get bloat blocks from the local elevator. Make sure they have access to those blocks all the time.

Can you mix any inexpensive preventative with grain supplement rather than hoping they all lick the spendy bloat blocks?

Stocker Steve":15lgmr52 said:
certherfbeef":15lgmr52 said:
You can get bloat blocks from the local elevator. Make sure they have access to those blocks all the time.

Can you mix any inexpensive preventative with grain supplement rather than hoping they all lick the spendy bloat blocks?

Steve - did you every find anything out in regards to this? I have a declining alfalfa field I am going to turn over to pasture, possibly next week....

We buy an anti-bloat/stress mineral mixture, I don't know who makes it, I asked at the feedstore if anything like that existed last year for daughters show heifers, it comes in a plain brown 50# sack. No one around here carries the bloat blocks so this was our only alternative. 1/4 cup mixed into a feed ration for a few days while they are adjusting to change is all it takes.

mitchwi":2uc9rrs5 said:
Stocker Steve":2uc9rrs5 said:
certherfbeef":2uc9rrs5 said:

Steve - did you every find anything out in regards to this? I have a declining alfalfa field I am going to turn over to pasture, possibly next week....

There are products out there - some go into the feed, some go into the water, and some are a bolus. Since I have natural water sources, plan to supplement, and don't want the stress of running a head through the chute - - I am focusing on feed additives. I will let you know what I come up with.

Stocker Steve":3cvotbg8 said:
certherfbeef":3cvotbg8 said:

Yes. PM me for info if you want.

Latest posts