Blind Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

archerace7

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a few feeder calves, to slaughter in a couple of months, found three locally, on a farm for sale, they are all blind though, having had pink eye. He wants 300 apiece for them, they are about 400 pound steers.

I have a small corral to keep and feed them in, till slaughter, but I have no idea if they would be good to slaughter, would it be safe to eat the meat?

Could anyone help or at least tell me that it would be a really bad idea...find better ones.

Thank you very much, I grew up on a farm, in my youth, we lost it in the economic downturn of the 80's, we had several hundred head of cattle, even though it has been 40 years, I have had experience with handling them, etc. But we never had any blind cattle, that I can remember, we always treated them immediately if pink eye occurred, and it always cleared up.

Again thank you

meat should be fine if it is just pinkeye. if you are satisficed with the price, I would say go ahead with the deal. blind feeders around here go for practically nothing going through the sale ring.

Hi. I wouldn't have concerns with eating one just because it was blind, but I think he is asking way too much for those calves though if they are blind. Im not sure your specific plans/goals, but if you're wanting to process some in a couple months, I think you will want to buy some that are much larger than that to feed and finish out.

Thank you very much, I thought it was a bit high also. I will counter offer and see what he says. I was just concerned about the meat quality. Thank you again!!
Hi. I wouldn't have concerns with eating one just because it was blind, but I think he is asking way too much for those calves though if they are blind. Im not sure your specific plans/goals, but if you're wanting to process some in a couple months, I think you will want to buy some that are much larger than that to feed and finish out.

meat should be fine if it is just pinkeye. if you are satisficed with the price, I would say go ahead with the deal. blind feeders around here go for practically nothing going through the sale ring.
Thank you! I think it is a bit high, I am going to make him an offer, I was concerned about the meat quality. Thank you again!!

If the globe is still intact you will find that the cloudiness will eventually fade only leaving some scarring. If the globe has ruptured then there is a risk of blow fly strike especially asd you are coming into your warmer months.

Ken

were they treated with anything? if you aren't feeding them past any withdrawal periods that could be a problem but they seem light enough you will likely go past anything like that. otherwise blind cattle in a pen should be fine if they aren't high strung and panicky. I would be a little concerned about past management practice that has left him with three blind calves at once. how many does he run normally? price seems kind of high, he will not get that at the sale barn.

Are you trying to make veal, a couple months at 3 lbs a day is only going to be 180 more pounds, and that would be doing decent for blind 4 weights. But, you only end up with 580lb calves, and you should be aiming for 1300+ lb to slaughter. If you want a cheap animal to make meat out of; I would buy an average looking open cow, that is being sold because she is open, and feed her some grain a couple months (you would have to work her up slowly), feed this with some non free choice hay, not fresh grass so you can make her fat white.

I slaughtered a heifer that was born blind. It was a pain in the rear to feed out. I gave up 650 lbs. It was picky about water and feed. Anything different and it wouldn't eat. It would crap in the feed trough and water tubs so I was constantly changing the water and cleaning the trough. And then trying to load. It would just run in circles and never line out. I don't have a loading ramp so that was another ordeal when I got it to the trailer

I slaughtered a heifer that was born blind. It was a pain in the rear to feed out. I gave up 650 lbs. It was picky about water and feed. Anything different and it wouldn't eat. It would crap in the feed trough and water tubs so I was constantly changing the water and cleaning the trough. And then trying to load. It would just run in circles and never line out. I don't have a loading ramp so that was another ordeal when I got it to the trailer
Was she alone? My experience is that they do just fine in groups.

We have several calves that are blind this year. One was born blind to a first calf heifer. We put her in a smaller lot and she did a good job raising the calf. 2 others are victims of pinkeye that were treated several times. One has some shadow vision, one has a little more but are very close to blind. They would be giveaway prices at the stockyard. They are all 3 together with one from the pasture where the one with shadowy vision was, that she hung around with, as the "seeing eye" and they are doing good. They will be beef next year. We put a bull in with the cow for a short period of time to get her bred back and now her calf is weaned and the cow is out with another group and will get preg checked when the rest do.
There is nothing about treating for pinkeye or blindness from it that would cause me to worry about the meat. However, they would not have alot of size for butchering this fall. And at about $.50/lb value, I think they are priced a little too high. But again, maybe they are bigger than what he thinks their weight is too. You need to look at them in person before you can make an intelligent decision or a fair offer.

We have several calves that are blind this year. One was born blind to a first calf heifer. We put her in a smaller lot and she did a good job raising the calf. 2 others are victims of pinkeye that were treated several times. One has some shadow vision, one has a little more but are very close to blind. They would be giveaway prices at the stockyard. They are all 3 together with one from the pasture where the one with shadowy vision was, that she hung around with, as the "seeing eye" and they are doing good. They will be beef next year. We put a bull in with the cow for a short period of time to get her bred back and now her calf is weaned and the cow is out with another group and will get preg checked when the rest do.
There is nothing about treating for pinkeye or blindness from it that would cause me to worry about the meat. However, they would not have alot of size for butchering this fall. And at about $.50/lb value, I think they are priced a little too high. But again, maybe they are bigger than what he thinks their weight is too. You need to look at them in person before you can make an intelligent decision or a fair offer.
Thank you!

Thank you, I am going to look at them, and make an offer I think. maybe half of what he is asking. But I may just find some different calves, thank you again!

Thank you for the information, never thought about the problems like that, from blindness.

Are you trying to make veal, a couple months at 3 lbs a day is only going to be 180 more pounds, and that would be doing decent for blind 4 weights. But, you only end up with 580lb calves, and you should be aiming for 1300+ lb to slaughter. If you want a cheap animal to make meat out of; I would buy an average looking open cow, that is being sold because she is open, and feed her some grain a couple months (you would have to work her up slowly), feed this with some non free choice hay, not fresh grass so you can make her fat white.
Thank you, I had not thought out the weight gain well, I either need to start with bigger calves, or plan on feeding longer.

I like your idea about the cow, another option. Thank you again!