Bleeding Calf Sydrome???

Help Support CattleToday:

ScottyB

Reaction score
We had a calf saturday evening look lethargic. We thought it was no big deal and went back up there sunday morning to give it some antibiotic shots. Well, we get there and it is standing by itself and it has blood coming from his eyes and nose pouring out. Within 20 minutes it was lying on the ground dead.
I have tried to do my research on this, but the only thing that matches the symptoms are bleeding cald syndrome. But there are no known cases in the U.S. Can anybody determine what this would be and how to prevent it.
We thought it was pneumonia at first but have never seen a calf bleed from his eyes and nose then be dead withing 30 minutes.

Sounds a lot like a brain aneurysm. Has the calf been head butting anyone or roughed up by others, check the head for any signs of trauma first. Could also be just a fluke where a large vein burst. I would def call a university ag dept and see if they want to post it because it is very unusual.

hooknline":1rz1ziww said:
Just thought of one more thing.....rat poison will do the same thing

It would take alot of rat poison to kill a calf-not likely

Maybe a birth defect, inside the brain.

GMN

GMN":1laukjl4 said:
hooknline":1laukjl4 said:
Just thought of one more thing.....rat poison will do the same thing

It would take alot of rat poison to kill a calf-not likely

Maybe a birth defect, inside the brain.

GMN

Moldy sweet clover also contains the same poison as rat poison... what were you feeding the calf?

Eyes - not sure - but blood from the nose could have been from a pulmonary hemmorrhage or major vein/artery that burst. Heard a vet talk about a young bull once that mounted a cow, got down, took a few steps and fell over dead. Necropsy revealed the abdominal aorta down the spine had ruptured when the bull mounted... talk about a fluke occurance. But weird things happen when you deal with animals.

Latest posts