Blame the sire or just dumb luck?

Help Support CattleToday:

Till-Hill

Reaction score
Preg checked my 7 heifers and buddies 10. Been together since January. His are all PB Angus. Mine PB Angus, and rest xbreds.

Stuck 12/17 AI (8 of his 10) group ave. 71% of them using MGA and watch heats
Yearling bull only got 1 on next heat. (He was in with them for 50+ days, also have confirmed preg heifers and semen checked before turnout)
4 opens, 3 of them sired by same popular high $B Angus bull. 2 were out of my group of 7 and 2 of my buddies.

AI sire fault, or just dumb luck? Kick in the pants I know that. But wasn't bad year except for everything else going on!

Blame the sire. 7 of 9 opens we had this year on replacements were sired by the same bull. He is going away.

4 opens, 3 of them sired by same popular high $B Angus bull. 2 were out of my group of 7 and 2 of my buddies.
High $B=terminal? If so appears they performed according to their genetics i.e. best suited to be feeders, not replacements?

76 Bar said:
High $B=terminal? If so appears they performed according to their genetics i.e. best suited to be feeders, not replacements?
Learned my lesson once again, lost a generation on a pair of really good cows by chasing numbers. Won't happen again.