Blackleg

Help Support CattleToday:

Blackleg specifically is not usually associated with horses but there are some "Clostridium" genuses that are.

Malignant edema and tetanus come to mind first. They are in the "Clostridium" family, just as "Blackleg" is.

MikeC":3u0a7cqg said:
Blackleg specifically is not usually associated with horses but there are some "Clostridium" genuses that are.

Malignant edema and tetanus come to mind first. They are in the "Clostridium" family, just as "Blackleg" is.

MikeC is right on the money. Horses may not get "Blackleg" per say, but they are susceptible to other members of the clostridium family. Years ago I worked at a TB breeding farm, and we had several foals which took ill with a form of clostridia, I just can't remember off-hand which one it was.

Katherine

Thanks to everyone for replying. Have sorted that out. Now we are trying to find out the "period of risk" for the cattle. We have had a suspicious death and want to vaccinate the other cattle but all vaccines say before the period of risk but not when that is ! Am I being unbelievably stupid :oops:

Blackleg is ugly. It kills your nicest 400 to 600 lb calves overnight. Vaccinate your calves at about 3 months and then again after about 3 more months.
gabby

How long can the blackleg bacterium spores live in the soil? I know it says years, but exactly how many years? If you have all of your cattle vaccinated for it for several several years every year what is the likelihood the bacterium is still living in the soil?

gabby":1kngky6e said:
Blackleg is ugly. It kills your nicest 400 to 600 lb calves overnight. Vaccinate your calves at about 3 months and then again after about 3 more months.
gabby

And some strains can kill your fattest baby calves before they're old enough for the vaccines to be effective.

Been there, lost a 3 week old calf last week.

IHeartCows":2s0a0lzi said:
How long can the blackleg bacterium spores live in the soil? I know it says years, but exactly how many years? If you have all of your cattle vaccinated for it for several several years every year what is the likelihood the bacterium is still living in the soil?

about 100%

Latest posts