black hereford ?

Help Support CattleToday:

lakeviewwalker

Reaction score
I am not trying to start a fight here I just really am curious. What us black hereford I am new to beef cows but I have been around agriculture for my whole life but I have never until I found this web site heard of black hereford s. Are they really a Angus hereford Cross ? Or where does the black come from. they look just like my baldies

lakeviewwalker":3n4zc59h said:
I am not trying to start a fight here I just really am curious. What us black hereford I am new to beef cows but I have been around agriculture for my whole life but I have never until I found this web site heard of black hereford s. Are they really a Angus hereford Cross ? Or where does the black come from. they look just like my baldies

HOW DARE YOU! :deadhorse:

lakeviewwalker":3ne5hhpp said:
Black Hereford is a registered crossbred of Black Angus and Hereford (if they are really angus x hereford cross)...but in my opinion that they looks like more holstein x hereford cross than angus x hereford. They must be 5/8 hereford and 3/8 black angus to be a black hereford.

lakeviewwalker":1k1o0l4y said:
maybe on the hide...

lakeviewwalker":3ajdv9qq said:

If they look just like your baldies then you need to start using better hereford genetics in making your baldies!

Taurus":2hb6rw6c said:
jcarkie":2hb6rw6c said:
check out http://www.blackhereford.com for more information. http://www.jnranch.net they have couple of sales every year and started the whole process of making Herefords black hided like everybody else. color sells after all.
Yup to newbies that know nothing about the cattle business.

Are you talking about all those newbie order buyers, and newbie feedlot managers? It might just be the general publics perception about angus cattle, but there is a reason buyers pay more for blacks.

ChrisB":1lvbbq8g said:
there is a reason buyers pay more for blacks.

Yes there is - it was an excellent marketing strategy by the Angus Association - I take my hat off to them

Bottom line is there are a lot more black cows out there now. Once upon a time the quality was also there. And that quality does still exist in some areas.

However - now-a-days you do not need one spec of Angus genetics to make CAB - so much for truth in marketing.

Colour blindness - there are a he[[ of a pile of good cattle out there that are brown, red, white and every other colour in the spectrum

Rip the clothes off of them.

If you tell me you can tell the difference, then I can honestly call you a liar - because quality is quality and you cannot.

And the quality of the black herd - overall - is decreasing as everyone jumps on the band wagon - we see it on a regular basis right here on this board.

As for those lovely black bast*rds called black herfs - no one will ever convince me there is no Holstein in them.

I think more than anything the arrogance of those who think that black is the only way to go is the biggest part of the problem today.

In my area the backlash is growing - while I do not raise them, the Charl are becoming the cow to own. Limmies are not far behind. Every time I go to market there are some there and they always seem to bring the top dollar.

Best to all

Bez

ChrisB":2zuatb6q said:
Taurus":2zuatb6q said:
jcarkie":2zuatb6q said:
check out http://www.blackhereford.com for more information. http://www.jnranch.net they have couple of sales every year and started the whole process of making Herefords black hided like everybody else. color sells after all.
Yup to newbies that know nothing about the cattle business.

Are you talking about all those newbie order buyers, and newbie feedlot managers? It might just be the general publics perception about angus cattle, but there is a reason buyers pay more for blacks.
Nah just folks that brought black herefords.

Seen one of those black herford come thru the ring today. I heard several loud snickers and even the auctioneer smiled when he said it.

Latest posts