Bison information

Help Support CattleToday:

Adeptus Technicanus

Reaction score
Greetings,
I am currently in the U.S. Navy, and will continue to serve for the next 6 to 12 years, God willing. But after that, I am considering raising Bison in North East Ohio. I am looking for some information or book/website dources for information that would lend aide in starting up and running a Bison herd. I am searching and reading all info I come across with the aid of Google, but I figure asking some experienced people wouldn't hurt either.

I'll know more about then soon! ;). A neighbor 2 fences over just got 7 of them. I told a neighbor who is sure they will knock the fences down " that if that's true you'll have an opportunity to upgrade that fence then! ". I doubt they all have a total disregard for barb wire. I do have a question. Do they require the same amount of grass as a cow?

Kingfisher":2p8j5w1i said:
I'll know more about then soon! ;). A neighbor 2 fences over just got 7 of them. I told a neighbor who is sure they will knock the fences down " that if that's true you'll have an opportunity to upgrade that fence then! ". I doubt they all have a total disregard for barb wire. I do have a question. Do they require the same amount of grass as a cow?
Yikes, the barb wire won't hold the buffalo for longer periods. Depends on the size of grazing pasture and the numbers of bison herd but they eat less amount of grass than the cows.

Caustic Burno":2cn17lc2 said:
My question is where would you sell one?
You dang sure aint unloading that bang's infested beast at a sale barn around here.
I was thinking the same thing! What are your plans for the Bison??

And by the way... :welcome: to the boards! Thank you for your service!

I know there is a market for buffalo, but I'm not certain how to tap into it. It's a specialized/niche market.
There is a custom processor around here that handles over 500 head per week.
I think they're servicing the local grocery stores and restaurants. There are several small scale producers around here and a few larger ones throughout the state and in Wyoming.
It's fairly popular here, but the marketing for producers is very different than with beef. I've never seen any at our sale barn either :lol:

Buffalo is in great demand right now. The only downside is dealing with the darned things!

500 hundred every week". I doubt that today. I doubt there is that many sellable Bison in this country every day....

I have bison, with 48 inch woven wire field fence one foot off the ground keeping them in. Never had a problem, and they don't work the fence line. (I hate barb wire, but a tight barb wire fence will hold them, see Texas bison assoc.) They eat as much or more than a beef cow size for size. Takes two years to get them to kill size, and a 1400 lb. animal will hang at about 550 lb. The bangs thing is bs, never had one test positive yet, (Yellowstone herd has it's problems, but it's gubmint run). Retail is the only way I can see this working, restaurant, farmers market, etc. Need an extra large squeeze chute and stout working pens, (think back to your wildest cow, a pen and a chute, then remember that was the easy one!), they don't really enjoy being worked or hauled. Wish you the best of luck and come join the fun! P.S. I'm still living out on poverty flat wishing I had a window to throw the pan out. :(

3way, just got your pm, I'll guess it was meant for somebody else? I think total bison kill in 2012 was around 48,000 head. (Most likely not counting back yard stuff) If we had a processor about 3 states closer, I'd add to the herd. Got to find a cattle truck that gets 50 mpg, fuel at a lot less than $4.00 gal., some free hay along the way, and I bet this just might make a profit.

orton":3ampe5n8 said:
3way, just got your pm, I'll guess it was meant for somebody else? I think total bison kill in 2012 was around 48,000 head. (Most likely not counting back yard stuff) If we had a processor about 3 states closer, I'd add to the herd. Got to find a cattle truck that gets 50 mpg, fuel at a lot less than $4.00 gal., some free hay along the way, and I bet this just might make a profit.

Actually i was just pointing out that there is a huge wholesale demand for bison. Retail is an option but not the only way to go!

Kingfisher":2arey7zi said:
500 hundred every week". I doubt that today. I doubt there is that many sellable Bison in this country every day....

You're right...I'm sure my source for this information was lying...because...well... :roll:

CottageFarm":2gbdrqfe said:
I know there is a market for buffalo, but I'm not certain how to tap into it. It's a specialized/niche market.
There is a custom processor around here that handles over 500 head per week.
I think they're servicing the local grocery stores and restaurants. There are several small scale producers around here and a few larger ones throughout the state and in Wyoming.
It's fairly popular here, but the marketing for producers is very different than with beef. I've never seen any at our sale barn either :lol:
Our sale barn do get them on special days. But like you said it's very specialized/niche market, and there is a local bar that raising buffalo and sell bison burgers at their bar. Same thing with beefalos and yaks.

Only one thing you need to know about bison. Stay away from them. They are mostly a rich mans play toy that will tear up everything and hurt you if they can. I have helped a friend load them with a tractor and loader just to have them open up the side of the trailer with a horn.

Latest posts