Bismarck Vs Brilliance

Help Support CattleToday:

cloud9cattle":3rcbq6k8 said:
NWMoAngus":3rcbq6k8 said:
I have been following SAV, Connealy, TC Ranch bulls for years and have had good luck using them. However, I also have a good Genex man and pay close attention to his advice when selecting what to put in my tank. Your semen jockey will have the experience of seeing the progeny of multiple bulls on your area. If he is a good rep, he will recommend bulls that will work in your herd and not just the ones his company holds an interest in.

Thats the thing he has to be a good rep. Ive planned to reach reach out to mine but im still off by 6 months. Just wanting to be proactive and develop a gameplan as far as genetics and bloodlines i want to introduce.

I think Genex is plowing a wide swath right now. ABS has more sires represented, but I am partial to Genex primarily due to my rep. I have had poor reps before. The best advice I ever got was start your operation with the highest quality females you can afford. You can spend a lifetime trying to breed up a herd started with culls and will never catch up.

ousoonerfan22":3l6ilkez said:
Have you guys looked at that Genex Double Vision bull?

Nice spread in numbers however... Is accuracy on calving easy and BW of 83 pounds would make me weary on 1st calvers. Could be used on second calvers comfortably.. but then again there are other bulls i would rather use again who are more proven.

Last year I used Select Sires Top Hand. He is a Bismarck son out of a In Focus cow. Real good calving ease with good growth numbers. Other people must like him too as this spring I could only get 14 straws.

I look forward to fetting the 1st and even really the 2nd calf out of the way to i can breed to other bulls.
One in particular im excited to use is Limestone Trifecta 714. I love a white face.

cloud9cattle":5lm4p4mt said:
Ive heard alot about SAV mustang.. Any experience with using him?
I can tell you the little I do know. Saw a outstanding pen of 18mo. olds back in early Feb. Something like 25 head. Guy told me to go pick some tag numbers then to come back and look at his AHIR printouts. I believe I picked 5 bulls. 3 of those were SAV Mustang and were all spoken for. This were all top AI sired bulls that included 7229 and many other current popular AI sires. The Mustangs were right there at the top.

torogmc81":3n3hfiba said:
cloud9cattle":3n3hfiba said:
I can tell you the little I do know. Saw a outstanding pen of 18mo. olds back in early Feb. Something like 25 head. Guy told me to go pick some tag numbers then to come back and look at his AHIR printouts. I believe I picked 5 bulls. 3 of those were SAV Mustang and were all spoken for. This were all top AI sired bulls that included 7229 and many other current popular AI sires. The Mustangs were right there at the top.

I Purchased 10 straws this morning of Mustang and 10 straws of Brilliance my thought was 2 straws each for my heifers. I ll be AI'ing 10 obviously. Super stoked. Vet is going to store it for me for 50.00 until April with the understnading she'll be doing the work. Needless to say Im pretty Stoked.

cloud9cattle":1ss14oc8 said:
torogmc81":1ss14oc8 said:
cloud9cattle":1ss14oc8 said:

I Purchased 10 straws this morning of Mustang and 10 straws of Brilliance my thought was 2 straws each for my heifers. I ll be AI'ing 10 obviously. Super stoked. Vet is going to store it for me for 50.00 until April with the understnading she'll be doing the work. Needless to say Im pretty Stoked.
I would be too if I was you!! :clap:

I Purchased 10 straws this morning of Mustang and 10 straws of Brilliance my thought was 2 straws each for my heifers. I ll be AI'ing 10 obviously. Super stoked. Vet is going to store it for me for 50.00 until April with the understnading she'll be doing the work. Needless to say Im pretty Stoked.[/quote]
I would be too if I was you!! :clap:[/quote]

I had the option of doing sexed semen on brilliance. Have you ever had any exprience using sexed semen? I just did the normal
junk
. HAHA

I had the option of doing sexed semen on brilliance. Have you ever had any exprience using sexed semen? I just did the normal
junk
. HAHA

No experience whatsoever. But I asked my ABS rep at the Beef Expo back in Feb. about it when we were going over their bulls, and he suggested against it. As to why, I don't know enough about the process to try and answer, but I do trust his advice to help my future decisions, as I'm very very green still ..... so I'm just passing the message on ..... I'm interested in hearing from our top experts here in explaining why I may have been told conception rates drop in AI with sexed semen ...

torogmc81":2xd14s9p said:
junk
. HAHA

No experience whatsoever. But I asked my ABS rep at the Beef Expo back in Feb. about it when we were going over their bulls, and he suggested against it. As to why, I don't know enough about the process to try and answer, but I do trust his advice to help my future decisions, as I'm very very green still ..... so I'm just passing the message on ..... I'm interested in hearing from our top experts here in explaining why I may have been told conception rates drop in AI with sexed semen ...

From What I could tell from my conversation was that it was only half the normal amount of a straw. meaning 1/2cc vs 1 full cc. I wonder if thats why?

cloud9cattle":1jxfeaeg said:
I look forward to fetting the 1st and even really the 2nd calf out of the way to i can breed to other bulls.
One in particular im excited to use is Limestone Trifecta 714. I love a white face.
I have had few Trifecta's. Kept one as herd bull but he started sucking cows. Heifer is kind of a knot head. They are also pretty small framed. Overall not impressed.

cloud9cattle":9qqc6z8s said:
why I may have been told conception rates drop in AI with sexed semen ...
From What I could tell from my conversation was that it was only 1/2cc vs 1 full cc. I wonder if thats why?[/quote]

To be blunt sexed semen is damaged semen.
After collection semen quality can only go down.
Sexed semen is still high enough quality to use, but conception rate will be lower than unprocessed semen from the same bull.

Conception rates vary from bull to bull, A.I. studs collect a lot of data and know the conception rates achieved by their technicians on each bull, but keep it a closely guarded secret especially on poor conception bulls.
Poor conception rate reports on a popular high priced bull can kill semen sales.
Once upon a time I was privileged to be in a closed door meeting regarding what information should A.I. customers have access to.
I remember a very well known former GM at a major A.I. stud object by saying "We are not a consumer protection agency."

If I ever hear that an AI stud or a sales rep is withholding information regarding quality, they will not set foot on my farm again.

NWMoAngus":3uq52suj said:
If I ever hear that an AI stud or a sales rep is withholding information regarding quality, they will not set foot on my farm again.

Who do most people use? Being from the central texas area would yall eccomend Select Sires, Genex, or ABS?

cloud9cattle":1kdutcw1 said:
NWMoAngus":1kdutcw1 said:

Who do most people use?
Being from the central texas area would yall recommend Select Sires, Genex, or ABS?

It's not local reps fault that negative information is withheld from them, if a guy doesn't know, he doesn't know.
For the most part A.I. studs only give out positive information even to their own reps.
It's truthful when they say...this bull has high fertility...and that information will be given to all.
What local reps see in the field is useful information, but some are more observant than others.

Over the years I've had good results with all of the A.I. studs.
There is more variation between the breeds than between the A.I. companies.
A lot of holstein guys keep a few straws of angus bulls in the tank to improve their 'luck' with hard settling cows.

Select Sires has an excellent reputation here in Minnesota and Genex does too.
My Accelerated Genetics man treats me right, so I favor him.

Right now I have a good Genex man and found I can trust him. I used to have a good ABS and Accelerated Genetics reps, but don't know them now. Select Sires has never set foot on my farm. I have ordered from Cattle Visions and from Angus Semen Service, as well as directly from the bull owners on occasion. So far, I prefer Genex for selection of sires and personnel.

Latest posts