Birth Defect

Help Support CattleToday:

Randi

Reaction score
Had this calf born the other day. It was alive, but died shortly
after.

20190311-095842.jpg

One of those things. We haven't seen this one before. Now we are milking her mama, waiting for a set of twins or one of the cull cows to calve.

That sucks! Just a fluke defect?? - or do you think it's caused by one of the known defects people are testing for?
I had a calf born without a tail. Obviously, not life threatening - has her 2nd calf sucking now. I took a bunch of pictures and sent it in to our national assn. to see if it was something I needed to be worried about. They confirmed it was caused by the way the calf was laying in the womb. No defect.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
That sucks! Just a fluke defect?? - or do you think it's caused by one of the known defects people are testing for?
I had a calf born without a tail. Obviously, not life threatening - has her 2nd calf sucking now. I took a bunch of pictures and sent it in to our national assn. to see if it was something I needed to be worried about. They confirmed it was caused by the way the calf was laying in the womb. No defect.

It is a known bith defect - Gastroschisis.

Randi said:
One of those things. We haven't seen this one before. Now we are milking her mama, waiting for a set of twins or one of the cull cows to calve.

I think we have had 3 or 4 of those over the years. Saved the last one by cutting the opening bigger, flushing what was outside well, stuffing back in and sewing up. 10 days of antibiotics followed.

We always blamed an over zealous cow cleaning the calf at birth and ripping the navel out.

Neighbor had one a few years ago. Frantically called me what he should do. Headed over to try and clean up and stuff back in, but cow was already eating it before I got there. Neighbor didn't understand why we couldn't just put a band on it and called it a day. He said to me, "It doesn't really need all that anyways, does it?' :shock: :bang:

gcreekrch said:
Randi said:

I think we have had 3 or 4 of those over the years. Saved the last one by cutting the opening bigger, flushing what was outside well, stuffing back in and sewing up. 10 days of antibiotics followed.

We always blamed an over zealous cow cleaning the calf at birth and ripping the navel out.

I didn't think that was possible, well done on that. I'm going to file that info away in my head for sure.

Redgully said:
gcreekrch said:
Randi said:

I didn't think that was possible, well done on that. I'm going to file that info away in my head for sure.

With patience and perseverance, you can stretch a cat's azz over a barrel! ;-)