Billboard canvass signs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
I saw on here some time ago that someone recommended using the billboard sign cavasses to cover round bales. I had forgotten it until yesteday when driving to Temple, I saw someone using on to cover the holes in the roof of their house.

Does anyone know how I can get some of these?

eBay has them but they are $45 shipping. they are very heavy. You are looking at about $80 total each for 15 by 50 foot long ones.

The lady at "U-Lock It" storage in Granbury, Texas sells them for $50 each. U-Lock It is a U-Haul rental and self storage facility located on FM 4 just south of Granbury. I bought her last two big ones yesterday. She says she will get some more. Her number is (817) 326-5955.

These billboard covers are very strong. They have long pockets down each side. You can string cable through the pockets and stake it down.

I saw a guy that had somehow come across a huge tent from Fiesta Texas and had cut it into strips and used that to cover up his rolls of hay. Don't know how he got the tent but it was a really good use for it.

Dusty Britches":10mr5nrd said:
Backhoe - how many bales do you get under one 15x50 tarp?

I'm thinking you get 2 side by side and 8 deep, so 16 rolls under one tarp.

I count 24. I will place 12 end to end that are 4 foot by 6 foot. The end to end spans 48 feet, on top of pallets. Lay pallets on one side of them (to keep the next roll seperated) and lay another 12 bales end to end on pallets. Run cable through the side pockets of the billboard and place 4 stakes on end. Hence, I will have 2 rolls of 12 under each tarp, the rolls will be split by pallets in between them. The hay will be off of the ground setting on pallets.

There's 1 foot of overlap on each end. The end bales may get some trivial damage from blowing rain but not as much as if they were out in the open.

I'm sure in reality, your numbers of 12 end to end is accurate, but mathmatically speaking, 12 x 6 foot long bales = 72 feet. Are you sure they are 6 foot long bales?

Thanks for the description. I can actually visualize this. :shock:

Dusty Britches":32129hjc said:
I'm sure in reality, your numbers of 12 end to end is accurate, but mathmatically speaking, 12 x 6 foot long bales = 72 feet. Are you sure they are 6 foot long bales?

Thanks for the description. I can actually visualize this. :shock:

Think of a roll of lifesavers. My bale width is 48 inches across the flat sides (or four feet). They are 6 foot diameter round. 12 times 4 feet is 48 feet. When you stack hay in rows, you always put the bale flat sides together compacted in the row. That keeps the water out. Then only thing different I am doing is covering the bales.

backhoeboogie":3knuwgjc said:
Dusty Britches":3knuwgjc said:
Backhoe - how many bales do you get under one 15x50 tarp?

I'm thinking you get 2 side by side and 8 deep, so 16 rolls under one tarp.

I count 24. I will place 12 end to end that are 4 foot by 6 foot. The end to end spans 48 feet, on top of pallets. Lay pallets on one side of them (to keep the next roll seperated) and lay another 12 bales end to end on pallets. Run cable through the side pockets of the billboard and place 4 stakes on end. Hence, I will have 2 rolls of 12 under each tarp, the rolls will be split by pallets in between them. The hay will be off of the ground setting on pallets.

BHB, I may be missing something but in my mind I see you laying two rows of pallets flat on the ground to stack the bales on, then pallets vertical between the bales to keep them separated. If this is the case, with the hay covered why do you mind the bales resting against each other? Thanks.
There's 1 foot of overlap on each end. The end bales may get some trivial damage from blowing rain but not as much as if they were out in the open.

27 rolls 5' wide x 6' tall
Here you can mold the hay quick if air can't get under the tarp.
They (the tarps) will last 2-3 yrs. depending.
I use pvc in the sides with whatever scrap metal I have as weights.
venttarp.jpg

Cowdirt":jnns65av said:
BHB, I may be missing something but in my mind I see you laying two rows of pallets flat on the ground to stack the bales on, then pallets vertical between the bales to keep them separated. If this is the case, with the hay covered why do you mind the bales resting against each other? Thanks.

Cowdirt you are not missing something. I probably don't need the vertical pallets but I have them and they are free. If the tarp develops a hole of anykind, it is added protection. It also provides for air movement between the rolls.

I started doing this when I was stacking a center roll on top, in a pyramid. The vertical pallet helps support the upper roll, kind of keeping them from flattening the bottom rolls. So if I have to go back and add the third roll on a pyramid, the vertical pallet is already there. Probably should have explained this better.

Nevertheless, you didn't miss anything. You picked up exactly what I was attempting to explain.

Anyone out there who has laid two rows of long poles end-to-
-end and stored hay in a row or for that matter across the polls side-by-side. Then put a cover on it. Would like experiences and ideas on this. Thanks.

Did that. Not good.

The poles are in the way for the next row. Usually frozen to the ground and a hassle to get up and out of the way. If you apply 4-6" of fist size rock,freezing is not to bad. But with rock for drainage poles are not really needed.

We use tires. When a row is complete we use the front spear to move them aside so access is available. We stack hay 5/3/2 and tarp.

preston39":1sd6j4ou said:
Did that. Not good.

The poles are in the way for the next row. Usually frozen to the ground and a hassle to get up and out of the way. If you apply 4-6" of fist size rock,freezing is not to bad. But with rock for drainage poles are not really needed.

We use tires. When a row is complete we use the front spear to move them aside so access is available. We stack hay 5/3/2 and tarp.

Thanks Preston. Think I may try removing some dirt, putting down geotextile and 4-6" rock/gravel. I'll probably put down two rolls of hay with one on top. 15' wide cover should cover that with some room for air circulation. What do you think?

I would... BUILD UP... dirt area first then the geo...rock. If your base is lower than the surrounding area you will get water soaking into your base and humidity up thru the rocks. Not good for hay. We just sold some alfalfa/sicrica mix stored for 5 years. Just as nice as the day we put it up.

We elevated the terrain up 6-8"..sloaped side to side ...to shed water/moisture...then the tires.

We stop the edge of the tarp about 15" to 2' up along the sides for circulation. Believe me when the wind comes the tarp looks like a balloon over the hay. Circulation is a given.

preston39":1e687719 said:
I would... BUILD UP... dirt area first then the geo...rock. If your base is lower than the surrounding area you will get water soaking into your base and humidity up thru the rocks. Not good for hay. We just sold some alfalfa/sicrica mix stored for 5 years. Just as nice as the day we put it up.

We elevated the terrain up 6-8"..sloaped side to side ...to shed water/moisture...then the tires.

We stop the edge of the tarp about 15" to 2' up along the sides for circulation. Believe me when the wind comes the tarp looks like a balloon over the hay. Circulation is a given.

Thanks Preston. Some folks around here have used the Geotextile and rock for area around water troughs etc. They dig down first and lay the fabric and overlap the trench edges and then gravel to a little higher than original level. I agree with you after thinking about it. Hay is a lot different to watering.

check your phone book - sign companies that put em up and take em down will save them for you if you ask...I got a
114' x40' canvas for around $20 (I picked it up)

Latest posts