BigBull

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
bigbull338":npcja00p said:
well you do not know how much knowlage i have nor will you ever know because ive forgotten a quiet a bit over the years.you convince yourself i know nothing because if i didnt you wouldnt be jumping on everything i say trying to prove it/me wrong.i pitty you because you think your the only 1 that works an thats ok.when you run beef cattle you dont have to kill yourself working.i used to work long hours so i know what work is.
YOU HAVE MISSED THE POINT AGAIN!!!!

I don't think you know nothing I think you have a hard time seeing how areas and operations are different and when you make statements about the ONLY way to do something or THE ONLY REASON to do something is being closed minded and going thru life with Blinders on

Heck I don't think I am the only one that works but Yes I work and I try to work smart while doing it
as for not having to work running BEEF cows well you have alot to learn if that is what you beleive
I guess if you just turn the cows out and let them fend for themselves then NO they aren't work

BUT if you manage your herd to be profitable and manage your land to it fullest potential then yes their is alot of work involved to make a living off of them

I don't have the benefit of drawing a gov't check every month to support me and my family and never have and hopefully never will

you come on here STATING that the way you or the guys who does the work for you do things in your area is the only way to do them and there is a BIG ol World out there and many different requirements for doing things differently
in different areas

FOR INSTANCE
You STATED that there was ONLY 2 reasons for using a Tedder which is wrong depending on where you live
I know guys in different area that can't put up hardly any hay without one basically because of the humidity
and then I know of areas where they have to fight to keep the moisture in the hay so it does shatter and knock all the leaves off so you never see a tedder in that part of the country and alot of them don't even know what one is
just different requirements for different areas
and you STATED with high fuel cost a person can't afford to run a tedder WRONG again
running a tedder doesn't take much fuel I usually pull mine with a small 60hp tractor don't need that much HP but that is smallest tractor I have and fuel cost on that tractor might be $15 pr day pulling a tedder over 100 acres so it is decently cheap $.15 pr acre and if that is what I need to spend to get better quality hay that is pretty cheap if you divide it pr bale on a 5 bale pr acre field that is $0.03 pr bale so tedding hay is the cheapest part of any of my haying operation and
NO I don't like having to run one put at times it is a requirement if I want to keep baling good quality hay

SO NOW I hope yopu understand why I jump on to you when you make Blatant BLANKET STATEMENTS
Just because it is that way in your area doesn't mean it is that way everywhere or in every situation

We moved out here to NY from Kansas. When hubby saw people tedding their hay, he would say - man they are ruining the hay - losing all the leaves. WRONG. Out here, you pretty much HAVE to run a tedder on the hay if you want to dry it BEFORE IT RAINS AGAIN. And you don't lose the leaves! Different environment. Some of the farmers will ted it out 3 times :shock: and it's great hay when they are done.

i got a tedder ,,, here in alabama you need one 90% of the time... but this spring has been so hot and dry '''low humidity""" rare... you could bale the next day after cutting it in the following evening... lots of clover this year , didnt want to shatter the leaves on it.. i actually needed what little moisture there was , to help hold it together

ALACOWMAN":kqpvgwqi said:
i got a tedder ,,, here in alabama you need one 90% of the time... but this spring has been so hot and dry '''low humidity""" rare... you could bale the next day after cutting it in the following evening... lots of clover this year , didnt want to shatter the leaves on it.. i actually needed what little moisture there was , to help hold it together

Does that mean you can get by without a mower?

KNERSIE":1h9enr7d said:
ALACOWMAN":1h9enr7d said:

well.. looks like my brain took a sht on me as usual :cowboy:

It would behoove everyone involved in hay baling to familiarize themselves with the basic tedder protocols!

ALACOWMAN":1ybl2was said:
KNERSIE":1ybl2was said:
ALACOWMAN":1ybl2was said:

well.. looks like my brain took a sht on me as usual :cowboy:

You know I just couldn't let that slip by unnoticed! ;-)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":19bmuwbr said:
We moved out here to NY from Kansas. When hubby saw people tedding their hay, he would say - man they are ruining the hay - losing all the leaves. WRONG. Out here, you pretty much HAVE to run a tedder on the hay if you want to dry it BEFORE IT RAINS AGAIN. And you don't lose the leaves! Different environment. Some of the farmers will ted it out 3 times :shock: and it's great hay when they are done.
:nod: Michigan too.

CKC1586":p9gsw433 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":p9gsw433 said:
:nod: Michigan too.

In the southern part of our province they bale at night and we have to quit and wait for mid day again. With how much and how often we have been getting rain this year I just hope we can get it cut and baled . Many different protocols are used for putting up hay depending on your environment.

I hope that this post did not run BB off as he hasn't been on since the day this was posted. :(

ALACOWMAN":23vvoym8 said:
ga.prime":23vvoym8 said:
It would behoove everyone involved in hay baling to familiarize themselves with the basic tedder protocols!
well there Doc,,some of us use ours for single trait selection :cowboy:
There is a society of practitioners, I not being among their number, which would characterize this hay quality augmentation process as folly!

ga.prime":3l3gzr4f said:
ALACOWMAN":3l3gzr4f said:
ga.prime":3l3gzr4f said:
well there Doc,,some of us use ours for single trait selection :cowboy:
There is a society of practitioners, I not being among their number, which would characterize this hay quality augmentation process as folly!
so true,, don't get me started

I quit baling hay--after 30 years and now let those who evidently love it more than I do bale it and bring it to me. No more worries of cutting, tedding, raking, baling, fertilizer, rain, weeds, sprayers.
I will soon have the dog trained to push the button on the pasture irrigation system.

Opens a Yuengling and turns on the Bravos
JS

JustSimmental":2ovrycwa said:
I quit baling hay--after 30 years and now let those who evidently love it more than I do bale it and bring it to me. No more worries of cutting, tedding, raking, baling, fertilizer, rain, weeds, sprayers.
I will soon have the dog trained to push the button on the pasture irrigation system.

Opens a Yuengling and turns on the Bravos
JS
Still "juicing hay"??? :lol2:

Latest posts