Big For Optimizer

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I have had 13 since September 5. My cows are over conditioned, a couple are obese but for all the concern it raises for calving, it has been amazingly easy.

My pretty girl Margo had her third calf today.  An Optimizer bull.  Right on time. Simmental gestation is 285 days and she hit it right on the day.  This calf is 104 pounds.   Big for an Optimizer but her calves have all been big - 105, 98 and now 104.

kdswtw.jpg

154zv3l.jpg

nyxxg3.jpg

Went just as planned. As soon as he was dry, shot 2 mL Inforce 3 down his nostril. Then a capsule of First Defense down his gullet. Then clipped his cord and soaked it with iodine. Gave her a bowl of feed while I lifted him.and stepped on the scales.

She is a pleasure to work around. Never did more than groan a few times.

He's pretty, I'm not into high birth weights, but I'd try him on some cows and see what size calves he sires. Do a 50K on him and that should help on his questionable BW.

Nothing I like to see more than a healthy newborn calf hitting the feed bag hard. Always a relief when you see them get up and nurse for the first time. Nice looking calf!

The semen jockeys are going to quit selling you straws if you keep publishing birth weights.

She's well nourished but not extreme. Since you are fall calving I would bet that BW is probably typical of the sire.

JWBrahman":2dvuzbqk said:
The semen jockeys are going to quit selling you straws if you keep publishing birth weights.

She's well nourished but not extreme. Since you are fall calving I would bet that BW is probably typical of the sire.

Margo is about right on condition. She is big. I have four cows in her size range but she is probably the biggest frame score in my herd. This is my 5th Optimizer all fall born:
55 (30 days early)

Margo has big calves no matter how you breed her: 105, 98, and 104. Fire Sweep mentioned yesterday after seeing the weight that I need to AI her to something that will mitigate the size of her calves.

Always good to see calves up and going right away especially the big ones. Hard to sell a BW like that around here, but plenty of places that he could work.

Franke":yeyidlda said:
Always good to see calves up and going right away especially the big ones. Hard to sell a BW like that around here, but plenty of places that he could work.

Franke if you hold the white to a blaze on the face, they are very much in demand.

Bright Raven":3qstiwro said:
Franke if you hold the white to a blaze on the face, they are very much in demand.

In demand for a feeder calf also. But this is why you aren't strict enough as a breeder. You just want that look, you don't care if its at the expense of the breed. I don't get involved with other guys giving you a hard time about over feeding your animals, but you should be more scrupulous about what makes, or gets - the cut.

Supa Dexta":33ptfdeg said:
Bright Raven":33ptfdeg said:

In demand for a feeder calf also. But this is why you aren't strict enough as a breeder. You just want that look, you don't care if its at the expense of the breed. I don't get involved with other guys giving you a hard time about over feeding your animals, but you should be more scrupulous about what makes, or gets - the cut.

Thanks for your advice.

During good forage years when rain is plentiful and temperatures are mild, I can't see the time of year determining the size of the calf in our climate. Optimizer is a high growth SimAngus bull who's calves should work good on cows in a terminal operation. Not many if any of the blaze faced Simmental - SimAngus bulls have great CE or BW numbers. But their calves seem to come easy and most aren't overly big. The problem with Optimizer is, most smaller producers only have one or two bulls and don't want to risk calving problems with their retained heifers.

True Grit Farms":staxmdds said:
During good forage years when rain is plentiful and temperatures are mild, I can't see the time of year determining the size of the calf in our climate. Optimizer is a high growth SimAngus bull who's calves should work good on cows in a terminal operation. Not many if any of the blaze faced Simmental - SimAngus bulls have great CE or BW numbers. But their calves seem to come easy and most aren't overly big. The problem with Optimizer is, most smaller producers only have one or two bulls and don't want to risk calving problems with their retained heifers.

Vince. Built Right and Steel Force are both blazed faced PB Simmentals recognized as progenitors of the modern Simmental. Built Right is one of the greatest cow makers in the history of the American Simmental. Steel Force makes good cows and bulls.

Don't forget Remington Lock N Load.

Recognized as one of the great Simmentals of all time, more than just a little white - Meyer Ranch 734.

2h3rmkw.jpg

Meyer Climax 50R. Also, lot of white.
28vgmzm.jpg

Bright Raven":mwgdiqjj said:
Franke":mwgdiqjj said:

Good deal for you if he turns out, but he is off to a good start.

Latest posts