Better watch out

Help Support CattleToday:

Yep, fall will soon be here, they're getting ready to den up.

Bet they were accidently ran over and then found a deep hole to sleep in :shock: :lol2:

aint seen nary slitheries but the spiderlilies have popped up and that means fall (and hurricanes) are on the way.

Gawd I hate snakes, I m glad you didn't post a pic jo. Back in the 80's I bought a place with a run down house and I was replacing some kitchen flooring. Well I would do a little bit each day after work, so I was just throwing the old stuff out in the yard. It was about this time of year so when I went to haul it off I was real careful when I lifted that particle board, lo and behold there was a whole dang slew of copperheads so I EASE THE SHEET BACK DOWN and go get the shotgun.Well about this time the phone starts ringing while I'm trying to find some shells, its my mom and I tell her I gotta kill some snakes and hung up.I can't find anything except 3inch 00 buck, I'm relly in a hurry cause I don't want any to get away. Well I get out there and flip that ole board up an start pumpin that 12 gauge and snakes are flying up against the side of the house and my heart is doing triple time. Never did figure out exactly how many there were.

Beefy":2iz3zgmi said:
aint seen nary slitheries but the spiderlilies have popped up and that means fall (and hurricanes) are on the way.

I've seen very few myself. Haven't been plagued much by skeeters either. Maybe skeeter numbers were reduced by the drought.

Newrancher, thankfully we don't have many copperheads.

newrancher":2iz3zgmi said:
Never did figure out exactly how many there were.

Sounds like it was somewhere between a gob and a mess. :lol2:

I have actually taken lids off of pump houses in the wintertime and used a pitchfork to scoop snakes out of the pits to work on the pumps. If the ground is frozen, they don't come back very fast. The ones you can't reach you keep off of yourself with one hand while working with the other. One day I took about twenty five out of a well to work on it, a high school girl I knew drove by, and I gave her a sackfull of blacksnakes and she took them to school. Don't know all the details after that, but the ones I know aren't good. gs

plumber_greg":3a8catjw said:
I have actually taken lids off of pump houses in the wintertime and used a pitchfork to scoop snakes out of the pits to work on the pumps. If the ground is frozen, they don't come back very fast. The ones you can't reach you keep off of yourself with one hand while working with the other. One day I took about twenty five out of a well to work on it, a high school girl I knew drove by, and I gave her a sackfull of blacksnakes and she took them to school. Don't know all the details after that, but the ones I know aren't good. gs

Must be something about wells cause I was working on one when I saw 2 of them. They were between the well and the meter box. I walked back and two several times before I even saw them. Really need to get some glasses I guess. :oops:

kenny thomas":1s45q5xo said:
A friend found 8 copperheads on his logging operation in KY yesterday. of course it is illegal to kill them. :help: ;-) :nod:
ken you must be pulling our leg. Why would it be illegal to kill a Copperhead. Here in Alabama, we kill them any time we can.
Tom.

plumber_greg":2ixnwew5 said:

I would just have to find another line of work....

Almost stepped on a rattlesnake the other day. We parted ways as quickly as we could escape each other's company.

newrancher":p6dkgoem said:
Gawd I hate snakes, I m glad you didn't post a pic jo. Back in the 80's I bought a place with a run down house and I was replacing some kitchen flooring. Well I would do a little bit each day after work, so I was just throwing the old stuff out in the yard. It was about this time of year so when I went to haul it off I was real careful when I lifted that particle board, lo and behold there was a whole dang slew of copperheads so I EASE THE SHEET BACK DOWN and go get the shotgun.Well about this time the phone starts ringing while I'm trying to find some shells, its my mom and I tell her I gotta kill some snakes and hung up.I can't find anything except 3inch 00 buck, I'm relly in a hurry cause I don't want any to get away. Well I get out there and flip that ole board up an start pumpin that 12 gauge and snakes are flying up against the side of the house and my heart is doing triple time. Never did figure out exactly how many there were.
What you did is the proper way to deal with the evil creatures.
:tiphat:

in Virginia and many other states it is illegal to kill any kind of snake. Doesn't mean that we don't, just can't put the picture in the paper.
Here there is a lot of strip mining of coal. They dig them up all winter. Want to have fun, put one next to a fire and let him warm up and start crawling and then throw him into the snow. Messes them up. Hot, cold, hot, cold.

kenny thomas":qss594hv said:
in Virginia and many other states it is illegal to kill any kind of snake. Doesn't mean that we don't, just can't put the picture in the paper.
Here there is a lot of strip mining of coal. They dig them up all winter. Want to have fun, put one next to a fire and let him warm up and start crawling and then throw him into the snow. Messes them up. Hot, cold, hot, cold.
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

And then shoot them.

kenny thomas":1ict7gc5 said:
A friend found 8 copperheads on his logging operation in KY yesterday. of course it is illegal to kill them. :help: ;-) :nod:
It's not illegal to kill snakes here in KY. Ppl do it all the time. Just the other week there was a picture of a huge timber rattler the sheriff had killed while on patrol.

I stand corrected. It is illegal to kill any snake in VA. Guess I will have to take them across the mountain to your side next time. What a deal. Do you think the snakes know the difference?

Be careful where you put your fingers and toes, i killed a copperhead in my back yard today and a rattlesnake in the corral a couple of weeks ago. they are on the move.

curtis":1tp71rm0 said:
Be careful where you put your fingers and toes, i killed a copperhead in my back yard today and a rattlesnake in the corral a couple of weeks ago. they are on the move.

Seems early spring and fall is when I see the most. Peanut fields are notorious for producing large numbers of them here. Its a wonderful feeling when you are knee deep in vine and one lets you know you are too close. That's when gravity really works against you.

Latest posts