Better time to sell? Now or closer to Christmas.

Help Support CattleToday:

Williamsv

Reaction score
I have nine yearlings ready to sell and two cows that I am culling. Do you think next week will be a good time to sell or do I need to wait until later in December? No sale last week and only three more this year. I do not want to keep them until January. Any advice will be appreciated.

I sell my earlier spring calves the week before Labor Day, later spring calves the second week in December. Here, the first sale after Thanksgiving is normally not as good as the next one. With the current prices and demand I am not sure one week would be better than the other.
I just have a general rule to never sell calves in November.

if you got cattle to sale sell them now.because the barns will close for about 2 sales.if after the 1st of the year wait 2wks after the 1st.

Williamsv":1tjit0do said:
I have nine yearlings ready to sell and two cows that I am culling. Do you think next week will be a good time to sell or do I need to wait until later in December? No sale last week and only three more this year. I do not want to keep them until January. Any advice will be appreciated.

Depends how soon does your wife need shopping $$$ ??????????????? :lol2:

Sell now. For about 3 weeks after the 20th of December, the markets are in limbo. Not enough cattle on offer, trucks not running, not enough buyers, indecision, etc. all come into play. They stabilize in the 2nd week of January.

Thanks for your advice. I just sent nine pretty calves to the sale for tomorrow. Could not get the two cows. Had shut one up yesterday, but she refused to go in the chute. We kept her shut up and may try again in the morning.
I hope they do well. A good many are coming in for the sale, but prices should hold up good is what I was told. I decided one week is as good as another right now and we had a beautiful afternoon to get them up. 77 warm degrees, just like spring!

They sold really well. I was well pleased with them and glad I went on and sold them, as they were up last week.

Williamsv":32d42noi said:
They sold really well. I was well pleased with them and glad I went on and sold them, as they were up last week.

same here I sold some too. the week before they were down 20 cents.. I sold some Monday and they were 10 cents shy of summer prices.
Congrats on the sale

the packers are trying to get their freezers full.because for 2 weeks during and till new years there will basically be no sales at all.so itll be 3wks before they get rolling good again.

I am in the same boat now. Got a two year old bull and a couple culls I need to remove. Am wondering if I should haul them this weekend or wait til after the new year...

SteppedInIt":39wschix said:
I am in the same boat now. Got a two year old bull and a couple culls I need to remove. Am wondering if I should haul them this weekend or wait til after the new year...

Here the market has been pretty sporatic lately. I know if I had something to sell I would start selling around the 2nd week of Jan or after. Just my personal thing. I like looking at market trend a few weeks to gauge when I should sell.

Everything is relative. I sold a cow today that brought over $1,500. When I bought her I gave $450. for her. The sale barn was full of buyers today, most I've ever seen in Ashburn.

Stocker Steve":32kzhr57 said:
Looking at the recent price trend you should have sold yesterday...

:lol: bout right

I really need to move the bull before he breeds something. It would cost more money to keep him and he gets the opportunity. I just hope buyers will be working and don't run through the sale with a handful of the local spectators.

The heifers I may keep til after the year like I was planning. :cowboy:

We sold 2 weeks ago and prices were 40% higher than when we sold in January this year...and we were thrilled in January. Crazy.

Latest posts