Better than getting one

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Well today I am back from my annual elk safari. The success rate for elk hunters here in Washington State is about 10%. Over the years I average one every three years and I got one last year so this wasn't my turn this year. But my oldest son got his first bull this year. And even better I got to watch through glasses from about 1/2 a mile away. I don't know who was more excited him or me. It was a nice 4x4. Not a young rag horn either. Probably a 3 1/2 year old bull. I wouldn't have bothered me if it had been smaller. I did pack the two lightest quarters but it was about 3 miles each way to the truck. So 12 miles, 6 of it with an elk quarter strapped to a pack board...... I didn't do much the next day.

Deepsouth":1zbgy01s said:
Congrats to your son Dave. I agree with you that's much better than you killing one yourself. Do y'all only get bull tags?

Bull tags are over the counter. Cow tags are limited drawing. All of Western Washington is 3 point or better on the bulls. Most if not all of eastern Washington is spike bulls only with limited drawings for bigger bulls and cows.

Dave":ozzn19r2 said:
Well today I am back from my annual elk safari. The success rate for elk hunters here in Washington State is about 10%. Over the years I average one every three years and I got one last year so this wasn't my turn this year. But my oldest son got his first bull this year. And even better I got to watch through glasses from about 1/2 a mile away. I don't know who was more excited him or me. It was a nice 4x4. Not a young rag horn either. Probably a 3 1/2 year old bull. I wouldn't have bothered me if it had been smaller. I did pack the two lightest quarters but it was about 3 miles each way to the truck. So 12 miles, 6 of it with an elk quarter strapped to a pack board...... I didn't do much the next day.

It is great to see the kids get one.
My deer hunting has been with my 11 year old grandson this year.
Boy has the fever bad missed a doe. I could see the rifle barrel bouncing up and down when he was aiming.
I ask if he heard the war drums he said what war drums. I said where your ears pounding he said yes sir and my heart too.
I laughed till I about cried. He is coming for all Thanksgiving break to hunt with Paw Paw.

Dave":n6f5qb02 said:
Deepsouth":n6f5qb02 said:
Congrats to your son Dave. I agree with you that's much better than you killing one yourself. Do y'all only get bull tags?

Bull tags are over the counter. Cow tags are limited drawing. All of Western Washington is 3 point or better on the bulls. Most if not all of eastern Washington is spike bulls only with limited drawings for bigger bulls and cows.

Why do they want to shoot the spikes. We don't have elk but all our antler restrictions protect the younger bucks to try and get more bucks into the older age classes. Are spikes inferior and they are culling them out?

Dave":tfc0k4z8 said:
Deepsouth":tfc0k4z8 said:

Congrats to both you and your son, sounds like a nice bull. I don't miss packing quarters, did you have to make a third trip for the hide and head?

I did'nt realize all of western Washington was 3 pt or better, we at have most units on the west side here that are open to spike.

Alan said:
I don't miss packing quarters, did you have to make a third trip for the hide and head?

quote]

He killed the bull about 4:00 in the afternoon. After gutting and skinning we barely made the pickup before dark. He packed the head out that night and we went in for the meat the next morning. I ain't packing no 100 pound hide 3 miles on my back. I know where I can back the pickup to elk hides if I wanted them.

It's great get to hunt with your kids. But hopefully my Dad who is 88 and sitting at our corn field stand will kill one tonight. He gets so excited sometimes he can't even shoot at them, cause he knows he'll miss. I've been seeing 2-3 nice bucks there most every afternoon.

Caustic Burno":u581plvj said:
Dave":u581plvj said:

Boy has the fever bad missed a doe. I could see the rifle barrel bouncing up and down when he was aiming.
I ask if he heard the war drums he said what war drums. I said where your ears pounding he said yes sir and my heart too.
I laughed till I about cried. He is coming for all Thanksgiving break to hunt with Paw Paw.

Both of you, a job well done! Great to hear stories like those.

Cabo":2aiq0rqo said:
Caustic Burno":2aiq0rqo said:
Dave":2aiq0rqo said:

Both of you, a job well done! Great to hear stories like those.

I have to go if I have to crawl out the door.
Daughter called and read his report he had to write in English class.
Titled Hunting with my Paw Paw.