Better be a good tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

NamVet_Farmer44

Reaction score
Finally bought a tractor, also bought a combine...now i've got a pretty big hole in my pocket :lol: ...now I know why I like my mules and draft horses so much...but the durn tractor and combine better last a long time for the amount of dang money they cost :roll:

NamVet_Farmer44":38mra3hc said:
The tractor is a Caterpillar Challenger MT865B, the combine is a Caterpillar Challenger 680B

Sure sounds like someone is bragging about their deep pockets. :roll: :roll: :roll:

NamVet_Farmer44":2lqvl93v said:
The tractor is a Caterpillar Challenger MT865B, the combine is a Caterpillar Challenger 680B

Boy from mules and draft horses you jumped right up to a $243,000.00 tracked tractor. I maybe would have tested the water a little bit with a medium sized used machine before making that kind of a investment.

somn":jw9gchqf said:
NamVet_Farmer44":jw9gchqf said:

Boy from mules and draft horses you jumped right up to a $243,000.00 tracked tractor. I maybe would have tested the water a little bit with a medium sized used machine before making that kind of a investment.

Maybe he's going to sell embryos

dun

Hey... he never said they were "new"..... give him a break... besides, I don't think I know of any farmer/rancher that when they buy a new(er) piece of equipment isn't proud of their purchase ;-)

Hope you are happy with your purchases, and hope they help you turn a profit.... afterall, isn't that what we are all in this business for?

Michele

Well considering the 680b massey combine just got into the AGCO dealers hands this fall that is new for sure. And the model MT865B challenger tracked tractor was a new model last summer if memory serves me correctly.

Muratic":1mj13d2o said:
NamVet_Farmer44":1mj13d2o said:

Sure sounds like someone is bragging about their deep pockets. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Also sounds like someone is a little jealous. :p

somn":2yvl5oe4 said:
Well considering the 680b massey combine just got into the AGCO dealers hands this fall that is new for sure. And the model MT865B challenger tracked tractor was a new model last summer if memory serves me correctly.

...sorry, I guess I was just feelin for the guy, cuz just about the time someone says something about what they "have", the "brag" ball gets dropped..... and maybe for some that is the truth....but not always.... Besides, I always figured about the only thing worth bragging about is someone's kids.... tractors, cattle, whatever, those are just posessions....

Anyway.... I know nothing about what equipment is new, size, cost, etc.... about the only ones I know anything about are the ones we own, and the majority is older than I am :shock: :D

Michele

Wow thats quite the jump from mules and draft horses to those pieces of equipment.

A combine to work area that you previously did with animals?

What are you doing for implements?

Plows, planters, discs, and all that stuff??

I took john250's advice...I went and asked the fellar that harvests my land now if he had any suggestions on tractors, and which ones he had now...and he told me he could come with me and check out a few tractors...he asked me if I was looking for something just for me, to last the rest of my lifetime, or something that would last through my childrens lifetime too, of course, I said I wanted something that would last through my childrens lifetimes also as they will have the land after me, and land is expensive these days...I got a good price on the land that I sold and I had extra money left over...so I went looking for equipment...had someone that knew what to look for guiding me through the tractors

And by the way, the little fellar asked me what I got, so I told him what I got...I don't see how that is much of bragging

Saltydawg, it is not to work where my mules and horses have peviously worked...It was harvested by a friend of mine, then everything was shipped here...all the money adding up from doing that over the years probably adds up to a new tractor anyways...as for implements, the combine came with a chopper, chaff spreader, CH cornhead, and RH rigid header...I've got a pretty long time to find all the implements I need, probably will buy most of them used from the fellar who helped me pick out the tractor and combine, or at least will take him with me when I intend on buying the implements

And if yall think it is bragging then so be it, but if I was going to spend my money on all this equipment, I surely wasn't going to buy junk, because the junk would have still cost $100,000+ :roll:

Doesn't sound like bragging to me.

You were asked about the equipment. You only stated the models.

Good luck with them; hope they do you well.

:)

I was just wondering about the size of those machines.

That tractor has a 18.1 litre engine and is rated at 510 hp. Thats a big tractor :lol: .

I'm not real good with row crops but most large dairies around here can't afford to run their own combines so there's one or two guys that hire out.
When it comes time to bring in the corn the combines run 20 hours a day around here.

6 figure equipment bills scare me :shock:

I wish you luck with your new equipment.

sounds like you have some nice equipment. if you can afford the initial expense you definitely chose the right path--keep up the regular maintenance and you will have machines to last for years to come. one thing about buying new, atleast you know all its history and dont have to worry about how the guy before you used it.

I don't care how he words it or what excuses he makes, Nam Vet is bragging!! Big Time!! :lol: :lol:

And he's got a right to! Congrats on the purchase of a lifetime.

I doubt many of us have too much experience with that size of tractor, I couldn't begin to think of implements that would require those ponies.( Most of the 1000 acre guys around here get away with 180-200 horse ).

I guess you are confident with the Cat combines, I'd be leery just because they haven't been around as long as JD.

Only Cat thing I operated was a skidsteer for a few days. I've run most other types and the Cat was a Cadillac - the others didn't even compare. ( But you sure pay for it ).

Once again congrats, and keep us posted if you are gonna buy anything else new so some of us could maybe go buy stock in the companies you are buying from!! :lol: :lol:

besides, I don't think I know of any farmer/rancher that when they buy a new(er) piece of equipment isn't proud of their purchase

I was quite proud when I bought my "new" tractor. It was 1949 Super M. It was my first tractor and is still my only tractor - but I would trade it for what Nam Vet got!!! Even trade only!!

AngusLimoX":3l3p7qx3 said:
I don't care how he words it or what excuses he makes, Nam Vet is bragging!! Big Time!! :lol: :lol:

And he's got a right to! Congrats on the purchase of a lifetime.

I doubt many of us have too much experience with that size of tractor, I couldn't begin to think of implements that would require those ponies.( Most of the 1000 acre guys around here get away with 180-200 horse ).

I guess you are confident with the Cat combines, I'd be leery just because they haven't been around as long as JD.

Only Cat thing I operated was a skidsteer for a few days. I've run most other types and the Cat was a Cadillac - the others didn't even compare. ( But you sure pay for it ).

Once again congrats, and keep us posted if you are gonna buy anything else new so some of us could maybe go buy stock in the companies you are buying from!! :lol: :lol:

Massey has been making combines just as long as Deere has and they have been making rotary combines for 30 years longer.