best way to synchronize

Help Support CattleToday:

lakeviewwalker

Reaction score
I got three heifer s I want to a I this summer I work long hours at my job usually leaving by 430 and not getting home till 8 . I would like to synch them because watching them is almost impossible I would be able to have a neighbor watch them but I would like to have it narrowed do down what would be my best method. Thanks for the help

If you don't have time to watch them for heat how are you gonna Ai them? Cidrs for 7 days then pull and give estrumate, then patches on their back. Time breed all non responders. That's one way to sync but that takes a lot of time and trips thru the chute, which it sounds like you don't have time for. I can't see this being very productive for you unless someone is gonna take care of all of it for you, then cattle don't always cooperate with different people messing with them. But anyways I would say the 7 day cosync with time AI

I agree with the previous post, you're looking to take on our have a neighbor take on a tough task. I like and the timed AI system GnRH, CIDR'S, lute, GnRH and yes I left out a lot of steps. But my point is I only do a few cows a year, 12 to 15 and I'm happy with 60% success, guys who do hundreds a year get maybe 75 to 80% a year. My point is you would be a lot better off borrowing a bull or haul your heifers to a bull, by AIing them you might get 1 or 2 calves or 3 if you AI a few cycles but calves will be spread out in age. May be able to lease a bull. That's your best chance of getting them bred, a bull.

Insert Cidr Friday along with gnrh, lute Thursday 8pm, pull Friday 8pm breed and give all gnrh Sunday 8pm. Only way to time AI with no heat detection.

Till-Hill":7f1ss9fr said:
Insert Cidr Friday along with gnrh, lute Thursday 8pm, pull Friday 8pm breed and give all gnrh Sunday 8pm. Only way to time AI with no heat detection.

My appoligies for not giving a complete answer to the AI part of the question :tiphat: . The above method is very, very close to the method I have used for 8 to 10 years. Only difference is I give the lute when I pull the CIDR on friday instead of Thursday. One less time through the chute. Again I'm happy with 60% conception rate so I better have a clean up bull I like, he has close to 100% rate.

I am a seasonal worker and summer is our busy time I Help my neighbor who is a full time farmer in off season and weekends he is helping me in return but if I don't have to have him detecting heats for me it would be nice I also have it worked out with ai tech. Not looking for criticism just some pointers thanks

lakeviewwalker":22g8dtrp said:
I am a seasonal worker and summer is our busy time I Help my neighbor who is a full time farmer in off season and weekends he is helping me in return but if I don't have to have him detecting heats for me it would be nice I also have it worked out with ai tech. Not looking for criticism just some pointers thanks

Don't think anyone is trying to critisize you, sometimes it just feels that way here because some of the same questions have been asked so many times. FWIW i agree that the best option would be to run them with a bull. do you know anyone who has a heifer bull nearby that would let you run them with his heifers for about 60 days?

you can use the 7 day cidr gnrh+cidr day one pull cidr+pg on day 7 then time ai at 66-72 hrs after with no watching or if you put a patch on look at them twice a day, whats been riden in the morning breed that afternoon the whats riden that afternoon breed the next morning but alot of that may depend on if your tech wants to make 2 trips the tech should be able to advise you as to what will work best with his or her schedule.

I wasn't intentionally trying to critisize but a lot of people "think" they want to AI their cows but have no idea the time it takes to do it. From your work schedule it didn't seem like it would work. If you have a tech coming I would ask him, since he knows your schedule and what/when to do it. Be prepared to call him 21 days later if some don't stick, and you have to take off work to get em bred again or find a bull. If your winter hrs are better suited it might help to breed then. Just a thought.

Heifers can be hard to sync because their cycles are a lot more variable than a cows and all of our sync programs were designed for cows. Cosync with a cidr will work as the cidr will regulate her cycle to fit the program but I really like to see signs of estrus on synced heifers even if it's just her sniffing at everyone else.
About fifteen days after you breed them, slap some estrotech patches on them even if you don't have time to heat detect. If they show up open, just re-enroll them right back into the same protocol as soon as you see that she was in heat, even if it's a few days later, and your success rate should be better as you're working with her natural cycle.

There is an Bovine Estrus Synchronization APP on the apple app-store that can walk you through the various synch programs. I think under heifers/fixed time it has 2-3 programs. What i like about it is that after you select an AI date and synch program it give you a calendar of activities with times etc. and even sends you a reminder each day.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/bovine- ... 12741?mt=8

I just did a bunch of heifers. I put in the cidr on Thursday anxd gave a shot of GnRH. Time of day on that doesn't matter. Pulled the cidr's and gave a shot of lute the following Thursday. Timing on that matters because you need to breed 54 hours +/- 2 hours later. So I pulled the cidr's at 8:00 AM on Thurday and we bred at 2:00 PM on Saturday. I gave another shot of GnRH at breeding. We bred 55 head in a little less than two hours with a 10 minute water break in the middle (it was warm out).

I don't what the conception rate was, but I can tell you that Friday evening / Saturday morning it was a real love fest going on in the heifer lot.

Latest posts