Best stocker breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.

Reaction score
I have a chance to use some land next door that is all fenced in and has water. The only thing is I can only use it in the summer so what goes on it must be sold in the fall. I am thinking of buying some stockers in the spring put them on there for 5 months then sell them at the sale barn. What breed would be my best bet for this situation? They will be getting grass and minerals only. They will also be on there own alot ie. limited human interaction. Also would you buy an older cow or two to put in with them?

S.R.R.":2nijsqgk said:
I have a chance to use some land next door that is all fenced in and has water. The only thing is I can only use it in the summer so what goes on it must be sold in the fall. I am thinking of buying some stockers in the spring put them on there for 5 months then sell them at the sale barn. What breed would be my best bet for this situation? They will be getting grass and minerals only. They will also be on there own alot ie. limited human interaction. Also would you buy an older cow or two to put in with them?
How many head are you talking about?

Locally I have avalible. Char x Angus, Lim x, Saler, Straight Char, straight Lim, Hereford x Char, Would any be better then another

S.R.R.":wi3bxhz5 said:
Locally I have avalible. Char x Angus, Lim x, Saler, Straight Char, straight Lim, Hereford x Char, Would any be better then another
Yeah. Get out of your backyard and find a good gentle Hereford with a young calf at side. You are wanting something to help keep your cattle from straying not teach them to run away.

la4angus
I was refering to the breeds of stockers avalible.

I have a feeling that what I mean by stocker is not what you mean. When I say "stocker" I mean a calf that has just been weaned.

S.R.R.":3pgvlb72 said:
I have a feeling that what I mean by stocker is not what you mean. When I say "stocker" I mean a calf that has just been weaned.
I know what a stocker is. The question is "Also would you buy an older cow or two to put in with them?"
That's the question that I answered.

O.K. I thought that after I posted the stockers I had avalible and you responded with

"In that case I would go with the Char X Herf. with calf at side."

We had a misunderstanding.

S.R.R.":311kp7q8 said:
We had a misunderstanding.
Thas OK. You are forgiven. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But just thias once. Next time you will have to go ask your priest. ;-) ;-)

I was not asking for your forgiveness there la4Angus You were the one confused. Also a priest can,t forgive crap! Only God can do that. :D ;-)

S.R.R.":ij3xiefu said:
I was not asking for your forgiveness there la4Angus You were the one confused. Also a priest can,t forgive crap!
He can as well as I can. :lol: :lol: And I stay confused. :lol:

la4angus":a0c0at27 said:
S.R.R.":a0c0at27 said:
I was not asking for your forgiveness there la4Angus You were the one confused. Also a priest can,t forgive crap!
He can as well as I can. :lol: :lol:
Well your right on that!

So with all that out of the way any input on which of these would make the best stocker?
Char x Angus, Lim x Angus, Saler, Straight Char, straight Lim, Hereford x Char

S.R.R.":5ce0qkpg said:
So with all that out of the way any input on which of these would make the best stocker?
Char X Angus or Char X Herf. Either way.

S.R.R.":ngdo9g6t said:
If it's mostly grass based , and the calves will bring about the same money in your area , then go with the ones that have a phenotype with the efficient grazing in mind.

Latest posts