Best replacer

Help Support CattleToday:

Elda

Reaction score
I have a new bottle calf. I need advice on the brand or kind of replacer. Best fat content. Medicated or not. and so on. Please.

Each part of the country has local availability of brands. All milk and milk by-products, no soy. 20-20, medicated is a personal choice but I like medicated.

dun

I think dun is on the money. Most 20/20 med is good. You will find that some mix a little better than others. Carnation, and Purina make excellent replacers. In our area I like Nutrena milk replacer. Just don't go cheap or soy. Medicated is a little added insurance. It doesn't mean they won't get sick, but it does give a little edge.

Ditto on the above... NEVER, ever be tempted to think you will do well on a soy replacer.... But we do like the Purina. and love the Land o' Lakes replacers with 'Architect' in it....a bit pricer, but worth it... it almost is like a electrolyte treatment.. as it settles in the stomach it gels and helps to prevent scouring so badly.

In most cases, you'll get quality bottle calves, if you use good relacer. We use one that's made by Milk Specialties. 20% protein 20% fat. Medicated with Oxytetracycline. Runs almost a buck a pound in 50 lb. bags.My kids like raising bottle calves, and I figure that if you feed the best, you'll have a better product to hit the sale barn with, so far it's worked.

We also use the Land Of Lakes Medicated replacer, and have not lost a calf. When I lived in Illinois there was a good replacer available there from Merricks.

Latest posts