Best Meyer 734 Son

Help Support CattleToday:

bruiser

Reaction score
Need some advice on the best son of Meyer 734. I'm going to use for AI. Looked at a few but need some advice from someone who has used some. I like 3C Macho but going to use the bull on heifers and he seems to be more for mature cows. Any suggestions whould be greatly appreciated.

There are quite a few sons out there. Not familiar with them to advise a calving ease son.
My bull (also called Macho) was picked by SEK Genetic Horizon as being the "replacement" for Meyers 734. And he is definately a calving ease bull.

Have you seen the SVF Built Right bull? He's a dandy.. and I"ve seen a couple of fabulous calves out of him. The best Meyer sons I've seen are SimAngus

TheBullLady":1y1zspiv said:
Have you seen the SVF Built Right bull? He's a dandy.. and I"ve seen a couple of fabulous calves out of him. The best Meyer sons I've seen are SimAngus
Built Right looks great, but word is - is that he is throwing a lot of white. Now, personnally, I don't care if they are purple & polka dotted (as I've said many times) BUT, I can't sell them if they have much white on them. Faces & behind the naval is fine, anything else they "perceive" to be carrying the spotting gene.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1mvxcqy3 said:
TheBullLady":1mvxcqy3 said:
Built Right looks great, but word is - is that he is throwing a lot of white. Now, personnally, I don't care if they are purple & polka dotted (as I've said many times) BUT, I can't sell them if they have much white on them. Faces & behind the naval is fine, anything else they "perceive" to be carrying the spotting gene.

That's strange Jeanne........................

My bulls have a lot of "White" on them and I have a problem selling them if they DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

I really like the picasso bull. Have yet to use him but plan to next year.

I'm not sure of the breeding of him but lots of folks are saying good things about the Newsman bull.
I bred one to him last year but she didn't stick.

bruiser":2r7s4mwg said:
Need some advice on the best son of Meyer 734. I'm going to use for AI. Looked at a few but need some advice from someone who has used some. I like 3C Macho but going to use the bull on heifers and he seems to be more for mature cows. Any suggestions whould be greatly appreciated.

I am not a big fan of 734 although he has a place in the clubby world. Macho is not a heifer bull so be careful. The Built Right calves have some white depending on the cow but he would be a good choice for heifers. Lucky Break and Fortune 500 are two more highly proven bulls that have worked for me on heifers.

used Picasso natural service in 2000-got about 50 calves from him. sold most of the heifer calves and top end of the bulls back to one of the owners. We used him on the top of our straight angus cows--really high performing cattle but I would not recommend use on heifers.

I like Picasso a bunch also, you just want to make sure you use him on a deep bodied cow. I am not sure how he is on calving ease.

Not sure if you are wanting to stay PB Simmental or composite bull will work. But we have used McCarney with success on heifers. He is a Meyer 734 x Angus/Maine

In next few days I will be posting a picture of a McCarney calf out of an average Angus cow, to see what every one thinks of her as a show heifer.

Folks,

I felt compelled to post more information about Built Right. Let's just say that I know a little about him. We've had about 25 born last spring and this fall, and the most white we've had is a little white on a couple feet. This happened on only 2 calves. There have been reports of some white, but normally following the pattern of the cow. We all know that the Ebony cow family can occassionaly throw a touch of white, so he just fits the family. Baldy faces occur the majority of the time.

These cattle will work phenotypically as well as genotypically. Very soggy, made "cowey" cattle, with style....He should be a good mating on Angus cows as well. I'll try to post a picture of him. A prominent breeder in Indiana is enamored by the bull and thinks the world of his calves.

Built_Right_2_yrs_ug.JPG

Another idea...not a Meyer son, but a good one.....Lazy H Pathfinder....soon to be available from ABS. He is almost certain to work in the same mode as Meyer, though he has the added advantage of being very desirable in the purebred facet as well. He's a Dream On out of the old Drake donor cow, P36D. He's impressed alot of supposedly very astute cattlemen. I couldn't get a picture to download, but PM me if interested, and I'll see if I can email. He is currently at Hawkeye in Iowa going through health screening if anyone wants to see him.

Thanks for all the help throughout the post's. I've studied several bulls and built right's in the top. The other two are 3C Sturdy and Mo Better. The talk of white is fine with me I am going to raise some show steers for my son this is a plus. Are all these bull acceptable for heifers. I will be using them on reg. angus and simmie/angus heifers. Please give opinons on the three bulls.

Latest posts