Best for Show

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king

Reaction score
When I went to the IL Beef Expo they had a silent auction and I ended up buying a $50 Gift Card from Accelerated Genetics for $35. I was wondering what you think I should breed my 1/2 sim.-1/2ang. cow with to get a good show heifer or steer. You think I should breed with a maine bull to get a calf with bigger bone, or a Sim bull to get a reg. calf 3/4. or maybe even a short bull.
Thinks for input.

sim.-ang.king":25gpgdvy said:
When I went to the IL Beef Expo they had a silent auction and I ended up buying a $50 Gift Card from Accelerated Genetics for $35. I was wondering what you think I should breed my 1/2 sim.-1/2ang. cow with to get a good show heifer or steer. You think I should breed with a maine bull to get a calf with bigger bone, or a Sim bull to get a reg. calf 3/4. or maybe even a short bull.
Thinks for input.
I've heard good things about Eye Candy, if you're leaning more toward the cubby looking calves.

Sim I looked around and there is a fella selling semen on a Simmental bull called Fat But but he is auctioning it off and it's heifer semen. That's all I could find.

Fat Butt (I think his real name is Cut Above) is supposed to be neat and on their website it says sexed semen is available, but if you want to use you gift card I don't think Accelerated Genetics carries him.

showing71":ampjm8an said:
Fat Butt (I think his real name is Cut Above) is supposed to be neat and on their website it says sexed semen is available, but if you want to use you gift card I don't think Accelerated Genetics carries him.

Gift card????????????

3waycross":3ddw1vlj said:
showing71":3ddw1vlj said:

Gift card????????????
The OP from sim says he got a $50 gift card from Accelerated genetics. I was assuming he wanted to use that towards the bull selection. Maybe I'm wrong....

No they don't have Cut Above "Fat Butt." but they have Built Right which looks like a pretty good bull.

Last year I AI four heifers with naughty pine & Dirty Hairy...still waiting for calves( know two heifers didn't take)

I've seen pretty good Q-Dawg steers, haven't seen may heifers out of him. I do like Eye Candy, and he can throw some chrome. We have a Hired Man heifer here that we showed and she did really well. She is an eye catcher, awesome puppy dog temperment, but dumber than a box of rocks. But i have heard Hired Man steer calves are late bloomers. Naughty Pine's sons and daughters seem to do fine and hold their own in the ring, and at sale.

If your cow is clean fronted and needs some bone, hair and rib I would go with Eye Candy. If she needs cleaned up in the front, I would go with Dirty Hairy or Show Business. You may not get that great one but you will get a good calf, steer or heifer that you can sell.