Best commercial cow herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Cress27

Reaction score
What would be y'all's opinion on breed or breeds of cows in a commercial cow calf operation. And what kinda bull would you run. For the best bang for your buck at the sale barn. Just curious of what y'all have had good luck. Just trying to start an interesting post

In some areas where you need black calves, you almost have to have a angus bull. In others like mine, you can put a good Charolais or Limousin bull over just about any good cow and produce calves that will sell well.

In the perfect world where I will live in my next life, I will put a Charolais bull over my Beefmaster cows.

bird dog said:
In some areas where you need black calves, you almost have to have a angus bull. In others like mine, you can put a good Charolais or Limousin bull over just about any good cow and produce calves that will sell well.

In the perfect world where I will live in my next life, I will put a Charolais bull over my Beefmaster cows.
Yes in my area the want the black hide calves. But I have seen some Charolais x calves bring more than a black calf. But that's been a few years ago. They really like the Smokey calves here too.

For me, I prefer Angus or Hereford type cows and an Angus bull. If you had all black cows a good Hereford bull would make some good nice BWF calves too.

Ky hills said:
For me, I prefer Angus or Hereford type cows and an Angus bull. If you had all black cows a good Hereford bull would make some good nice BWF calves too.

This is one of dads bulls he uses the Hereford calves grow better than anything else we use. We use 2 gelv bulls and an angus also

What breed is contingent on your market/location. Black sells better here. My commercial herd is black Angus, Angus/Hereford and a couple Angus/Simm bred by registered black Angus bulls.

In Ky it's hrs to beat the Hereford X Angus or Sim Angus cow. I prefer the SimAngus. Then come back on them with a terminal type bull.

ALACOWMAN said:
Brangus / angus mommas, Hereford bull..

I agree Brangus are great animals. I love the look of eared cattle but here in Ky you are gonna take a beating on them. Not because they are inferior but just because they are not uniform to a group.

Quality Red Angus bulls & cows. Calves have topped many a sale for decades in spite of the myth that black cattle reign supreme. Comprehend that a little ear is needed in some locales.

76 Bar said:
Quality Red Angus bulls & cows. Calves have topped many a sale for decades in spite of the myth that black cattle reign supreme. Comprehend that a little ear is needed in some locales.
I really like the Hereford / red angus cross..but then there's several crosses I'd like too pursue.,if the time and money allowed..that's why I have black..cause I got more time then money :cowboy:

Seems here the Red Angus influence is gaining favor over the blacks, and have been for a few years. Baldies of both colors also do well since practically everyone has cut the Herf out of the herd, some buyers seek them out. I've also figured out the buyers want them slick hair coats, so your Sim calves better not be shaggy.

Anything red here takes a beating. Black or smoky is what the buyers want. Shame because for whatever reason I love the looks of solid red cows.

Lazy M said:
Anything red here takes a beating. Black or smoky is what the buyers want. Shame because for whatever reason I love the looks of solid red cows. BWF do well too, but it's a roll of the dice using a Hereford bull because you'll always have a sprinkling of RWF.

ALACOWMAN said:
76 Bar said:
I really like the Hereford / red angus cross..but then there's several crosses I'd like too pursue.,if the time and money allowed..that's why I have black..cause I got more time then money :cowboy:

If I ever moved back to Texas I'd be all over the Red Angus or Santa Gertrudis x Hereford cross. Love those red with white faced momma's.

Here in Virginia we have black Angus cows crossed with Herefords in our replacement herds and F1 Baldies crossed with purebred black Angus or gelvieh bulls in our terminal herds.

Latest posts