bermuda

Help Support CattleToday:

9 ER

Reaction score
This is the 1st year for me to work on my pasture. It has bermuda in it(no sure which type) along with what I call yard grass. I've done a soil test and fertalized accordingly. Most of the weeds are gone and I was wondering if I should leave it or sprig it or ???

You can tell which type pretty easy. If it makes sead heads, highly likely it is common bermuda. Hybrid bermuda like Coastal, Jiggs, and Tifton 85 do not produce seed, therefore the need to plant tops or sprigs. These improved or hybrid bermudas don't grow from seed. I have a small pasture down in Galveston county on a mixture of dallisgrass and common bermuda. Cattle are growing good. Can't justifly to cost of changing pasture or the need. A good mix of existing dallisgrass, bahia, bluestem, and bermuda is just fine. Keep soil testing and fertilizing and spray for weeds in the early spring.

Appreciate the response. the cows eat the mess out the bermuda, but wont hardly touch the yardgrass(dallisgrass).

9 ER":1rl8ricz said:
Appreciate the response. the cows eat the mess out the bermuda, but wont hardly touch the yardgrass(dallisgrass).

My cattle actually prefer dallisgrass over coastal because it is more leafy. It is actually a high quality forage, it just doesn't have the yield potential of coastal and ergot poisoning is a problem (so remember to mow off the seedheads several times per year, if they have the black sticky ergot on them)

johndeerefarmer":2gbnjal2 said:
9 ER":2gbnjal2 said:

My cattle actually prefer dallisgrass over coastal because it is more leafy. It is actually a high quality forage, it just doesn't have the yield potential of coastal and ergot poisoning is a problem (so remember to mow off the seedheads several times per year, if they have the black sticky ergot on them)

My cows will walk over bermuda to get to Dallis grass. It also starts growing earlier in spring and last longer in the fall.

My cows really go for dallisgrass too. 9ER, did you really mean to write St. Augustine grass when you referred to yardgrass? I have a little St. Augustine around a couple of my favorite old pecan trees; the cows will eat that St. Augustine, but after they have scrounged all the bermuda, bahia, dallisgrass and a few other grasses they can easily get their choppers on.

I thought it was St. Augustine too. My neighbor said it was dallis, so I took his word on it. Thats what i get for asking a mechanic and woodworker about grass.

Should I do anything about the St. Augustine?

Find out what type of grass you have.
Some are better for pasture than others and some like centipede just need to be killed.
Just make sure what you have and work with it the best you can. You can post some pictures on here or call the extension and ask them to visit.

9 ER":3vlbu9dd said:
I thought it was St. Augustine too. My neighbor said it was dallis, so I took his word on it. Thats what i get for asking a mechanic and woodworker about grass.

Actually I am a mechanic, welder, woodworker,teacher AND cattleman and I know about grasses... So don't dish him because of his occupations :)

As far as summer perennial grasses go, Dallisgrass can't be topped especially if grown in conjunction with Ladino clover. Grows best on heavy clay soils.

J. T.":1gkinqy0 said:
As far as summer perennial grasses go, Dallisgrass can't be topped especially if grown in conjunction with Ladino clover. Grows best on heavy clay soils.

You got that right ! JT Are you in the black belt?

johndeerefarmer":3enx8llx said:
9 ER":3enx8llx said:

Actually I am a mechanic, welder, woodworker,teacher AND cattleman and I know about grasses... So don't dish him because of his occupations :)

So you're a jack of all trades and a master of none. lol Just a joke. My neighbor has been a friend of the family for a long time.
Actually I am a teacher, coach, fisherman, and a hunter and I dont know much about anything else. That's why I ask a lot of questions. Next time I have a question about my truck I'll go ask my other neighbor who is a nurse. :lol: :lol: :lol: No offence to all you nurses.

if you have enough grass to spare, harrow through the "yardgrass" and the bermuda will spread.

dallisgrass one of Gods free gifts to the cattleman :cboy: are you calling yardgrass what im thinking is crabgrass? it has a seed head smaller than dallis but similar.

Latest posts