Bent tailgate

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
Had to move cattle trailer and forgot tailgate was down, heard a loud pop and had that oh **** moment when I knew what it was. I'll post a picture in the morning but its pretty bad, had to slam it hard to get it to close. I'd like to use this as an excuse to get a flatbed, but don't think the wife will go for that. I considered putting one of those V style 5th wheel tail gates on it, found a couple on ebay for around 375.

Calhoun Farm":9h7tovon said:
Had to move cattle trailer and forgot tailgate was down, heard a loud pop and had that oh **** moment when I knew what it was. I'll post a picture in the morning but its pretty bad, had to slam it hard to get it to close. I'd like to use this as an excuse to get a flatbed, but don't think the wife will go for that. I considered putting one of those V style 5th wheel tail gates on it, found a couple on ebay for around 375.

Well that stinks for sure Calhoun Farm.

What brand truck do you have? Our farm truck is a '99 Dodge Ram 2500 and the tailgate is a wreck. I'd consider a V-style replacement at the right price. I'll check out Ebay right away.

TennesseeTuxedo":jmeik29v said:
Calhoun Farm":jmeik29v said:

What brand truck do you have? Our farm truck is a '99 Dodge Ram 2500 and the tailgate is a wreck. I'd consider a V-style replacement at the right price. I'll check out Ebay right away.

Say it aint so TT you got a DODGE.

M5farm":3rqvaypi said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3rqvaypi said:
Calhoun Farm":3rqvaypi said:

Say it aint so TT you got a DODGE.

LOL! I was wondering if you'd catch that. I said our farm truck is a '99 Dodge. MY truck is a 2011 F-250. Both are gas. I have to admit the old Dodge is hanging in there pretty good and had she been just a little pampered she'd really be something else. Only has 140,000 miles but looks like 440,000! My in-laws have left it out in the elements for years and the paint is completely shot.

I don't think the dash has cracked yet though.

I built my own deck for about 400 in materials, and a couple weeks of figuring and welding... works really good and I'm happy with it.. .SOO much nicer than a pickup

Photo0091_zps838e74ca.jpg

i will admit this to yall I tore my tailgate up while hunting i dumped my hounds out and forgot the tailgate was down backed up to turn around and nailed a tree tore my tailgate slam up its my hunting truck anyway but NEVER NEVER NEVER leave your tailgate down after the hunt was over I went back with a chainsaw and cut the #%^$%&^ tree down made me feel better not the tailgate though... I will post pics my guys laughed said trees fighting back huh

That's funny, well not really I guess. I did the same thing a week ago, already had a cracked fender on my truck, I just took my tailgate off and I'm gonna put a Haybed on it when I can afford one.

Yea, I did the same thing on my 07 silverado 3500 a couple of years ago. Forgot the tailgate was down and backed into a tree. A couple of years without one and then found one for $50, an 04 but it fits. My truck is grey and the tailgate is white, I only leave it on when I need it ....... My wife hates it when it's on. :?

My dad liked to save time and energy with a gooseneck by leaning into the bed and unhooking and then driving away with the tailgate UP so that he didn't have to jump out and shut it. He did that twice within about a six month span and I gave him he!! until I went out to unhook his truck and did the same thing. :roll:
He doesn't even pull anything anymore and he still drives around with no tailgate on his truck. I avoid the problem by driving flatbeds but that doesn't seem to help with my tendency to drive away with the jack down. :dunce:

I slammed it shut and now it won't open! I'd say its toast. I'm guessing its bent out of shape.

Friend of mine did the same thing except the other side last weekend. Backed into a tree. Going to have to pull the access panels off the inside to get to the latch to open it .

Calhoun Farm":343dwpm9 said:

I have that T-shirt

Bez

For my old truck I just cut a sheet of plywood and slid it in place of the tailgate.

Latest posts