Belgian blue video

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks a million Iowa..... we were talking about it at the county fair a few days ago and since he was sitting at the computer I wanted to show him. His jaw dropped about like mine did!!! Thanks again!

TNMasterBeefProducer":vc7mt2r8 said:
I sent off the the Belgian blue association for some info just to check it out. They sent me a sale book where people were selling their belgian blues. The lowest birthweight in that whole book was 127 pounds. I said like heck do I want a belgian blue.

Yeah.. its one of those things that's really neat to look at and marvel over but do I want one....um....NO!!! Their rear-end reminds me of a hog's butt....(no offense to any Belgian Blue breeders here...)

Iv heard almost every cow has to have a sesection* spelled correctly?? giving birth.

I wouldn't doubt it... there's a girl near me that does AI for a few farms. Was talking to her about it at the county fair and she said she was really interested in them until she heard of their calving problems... so that's probably true.

I just keep thinking of how much feed would have to go into one of those things!!

I could probably feed six Dexters on what one Belgian Blue eats! :lol:

Our daughter had a Belgian Blue as her scramble heifer and showed Belgian Blue cross heifers in the Commercial Heifer show at our fair. Her crosses always did well and were high sellers.

The only time her cow had a problem calving was when she was bred to an imported bull. When she was bred to a Simmental, everything was fine. It was a bull calf and he was too large through the shoulders, so the cow had a c-section. Unfortunately the calf was double muscled and it caused his demise. I forget what the double muscling causes, but basically it affected his heart and we had to have him euthanized.

The breed is very gentle and they really don't eat any more than any other beef breed. The meat is the BEST flavored meat that I had ever had. Even the cross bred steers were excellent. We sold halves to friends and they too said that it was wonderful.

We butchered a full blood Belgian Blue steer and he dressed at 70 %. They have very little waste. He was delicious.

Red bull- But I only have five Dexters right now. Besides isn't there something to be said for spreading your risk among more 'units' rather than tying them all up in a single BIG unit? :lol:

Chippie- I'm glad you like 'em. Just can't get over the strange look they have... It would be like eating CA Gov Arnold.

TNMasterBeefProducer":1qvf0o00 said:
chippie":1qvf0o00 said:
Our daughter had a Belgian Blue as her scramble heifer and showed Belgian Blue cross heifers in the Commercial Heifer show at our fair. Her crosses always did well and were high sellers.

The only time her cow had a problem calving was when she was bred to an imported bull. When she was bred to a Simmental, everything was fine. It was a bull calf and he was too large through the shoulders, so the cow had a c-section. Unfortunately the calf was double muscled and it caused his demise. I forget what the double muscling causes, but basically it affected his heart and we had to have him euthanized.

The breed is very gentle and they really don't eat any more than any other beef breed. The meat is the BEST flavored meat that I had ever had. Even the cross bred steers were excellent. We sold halves to friends and they too said that it was wonderful.

We butchered a full blood Belgian Blue steer and he dressed at 70 %. They have very little waste. He was delicious. :tiphat:

Well you can sure as heck keep em cuz I dont want em.

Bless your heart, you are so good to let me know that!

Like many other registered breeds, the terminal crosses are money makers. The crossbred cows make good mothers. They have the genetics to produce a beefy calf and the milk to feed it.
They are not as tolerant of humidity and heat as other breeds.

Latest posts