Been a pretty f'n crappy week around here . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Dad in the hospital for a week; he's 82, normally in pretty good health except he's about blind as a bat. Had bad dizziness last Saturday, delivered to the hospital via ambulance. They ran about every test available A-Z; think it's some sort of ear infection. He went home yesterday, with one of the sisters staying with him for a few days. Just that, too many miles away is frustrating, while you wait and worry. While he's in the hospital, one of his older brothers died. Salt of the earth guy, WW2 vet, that gave the best hugs -- had to break that news about Uncle Walt to Dad in hospital (best place to do it I guess, but he was okay). I'll miss that old man. Got word today that a cousin much younger than me who'd had surgery last year for esophogeal cancer has about a 2-month limit. My RN daughter told me at the time that most don't live more than 5 yrs. past surgery for that. He and his family came out to WA for Thanksgiving, and all the younger cousins got together, including one that flew in from Hawaii. I'm sure there was a theraputic reason that none of the old folks were invited. I talked to him though, tonight, once I heard about the gathering . . . . figured there was bad news in the air and wanted to hear it direct rather than some FB announcement. But he made his peace with God years ago, and he and his wife have decided no extra measures should be taken. He's still able to work; is an amazing dad to his wife's 3 kids; spends his "spare" time doing volunteer work with their church, and helping out at the food bank. But, Lord, that's enough for a few days.

Getting in that age range where those things are occurring can be a drag. I take some time to affirm that there is nothing I can do to change the natural order of life and death. I have approached some situations from the lighter side and even though some of my family at first may have thought poorly of it. I have begun to rub off on some of them in a good way. I can get a laugh in the place of a cry.

I took mom who is about a month from 91, to the heart doctor about 2 weeks ago. When the technician was checking her pacemaker, she said the battery is good for 9 years. I was sitting opposite mom and the technician. Another technician was on a computer beside me. I said, "Can you do something for me?" She said what, "Take that battery out and put one in that is good for about 6 months. I said it she lives 9 more years she will kill the whole family." The two girls LTAO. And mom joined in. The technician looked at mom and said, "Now I know why you have lived so long."

I do that every chance I can. Every nurse in the Nursing Home absolutely flocks to me and mom when I go to mom's room. They join in and pretty soon the whole place is rocking with laughter as mom and I carry on. No one would believe what we say to each other, in absolute crazy fun.

inyati13":199yfoc7 said:
Getting in that age range where those things are occurring can be a drag.

Yep, ya reach a point in life where you and your siblings realize "Well, --we're the old folks now".

Eating our second Thanksgiving dinner last night and my Dad was by the fireplace starring at the flames. I came in and gave him a hug and asked what he was thinking about. He said all my friends are gone and my body is wore out, but this is sure nice being here with my family. It brought tears to some of us.

High grit, you brought tears to my eyes reading about your dad. I lost my mother last year and one of the things she said to me was "it's no fun being the last leaf on the tree".

Green Creek":eyp0m8dj said:
High grit, you brought tears to my eyes reading about your dad. I lost my mother last year and one of the things she said to me was "it's no fun being the last leaf on the tree".
Nice quote. Mom is her last leaf on the tree.

Yep, you're all right -- as we get older (and don't want to admit it), I guess we just think of the elders as invincible, and that the younger family members should JUST NOT HAVE TO die early. Inyati and High Grit -- you both put a real good perspective on this. Thank you.