beefmasters

Help Support CattleToday:

iowagirl

Reaction score
I am looking to move back to west central Iowa (I currently live in Omaha) to raise cattle with my dad. We have had angus and hereford before but I find myself interested in the beefmaster. I am curious about this particular breed and would like to know more about them. I'd like to know if they are good mothers and how they would do with the adverse weather conditions of Iowa. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks

Beefmasters cows are great mothers below the mason-dixon but i think the winters would be to harsh without special care they do put on more hair coat than other brahman cross but i would go with a breed that performs well in your area not one you have to make perform it not worth the cost

This doesn;t just apply to Beefmasters but all breeds. Find someone that is raising the types of cattle you want in the area or at the the same climatic environment you're moving to. Acclimated cows will perform better mcu sooner. It seems to take about 3 years, 2 if your lucky, for a cow to start really performing up to her potential after she's moved to a totally different weather, forage situation

dun

Latest posts