Beefmaster

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Thinking about replacing Obama (Angus ) with a Beefmaster. Cousin offered me enough for him that it has peaked my interest.
Any lines to steer clear of as I know all breeds have problem lines in them.
Bull will be used on F-1 Brafords and Herefords.

I don't know much about the specific beefmaster lines, but i researched the ranches the friend of mine got his cows from(lasater and casey). I've been impressed with what his calves look like out of my cows. He adds more bone and muscle than the angus or brangus I've had in the past on the same type of cows.

I bought some Herefords already bred to a beefmaster and they have all calved good and are good calves, the guy paid 3000$ for the bull and I will find out what line he is, I've been very happy with the calves.

Why wouldn't you go with a Charolais on your cows? If not staying black I would have thought a Charolais would have been next on them.

heath":23vdrtwm said:
I don't know much about the specific beefmaster lines, but i researched the ranches the friend of mine got his cows from(lasater and casey). I've been impressed with what his calves look like out of my cows. He adds more bone and muscle than the angus or brangus I've had in the past on the same type of cows.
I saw some Casey & Lasater bulls last week. They looked good. I'm heading to Mr Casey place soon.

Kingfisher":2pri8pbf said:
heath":2pri8pbf said:
I saw some Casey & Lasater bulls last week. They looked good. I'm heading to Mr Casey place soon.
The friend that i bought my bull from as a weaning, bought his first set of heifers off the Casey ranch. His herd came from those heifers and he's used Casey and Lasater bulls.
2013-09-14162233.jpg

He was about 26 months in the pick, he stays out with the cows, except for the three or four months after he was weaned he has had no feed other than what little the cows get. He's not perfect, but he throws nice babies.

Nice looking bull Heath except I don't like the sheath area but if he does the job you want, that's what counts.
What's up with that tail?

CB, how old is Obama now?

He doesn't normally have a lazy prepuce, i thought about not posting the pic and getting a better one, but figured I'd post it anyways. His tail got stepped on by a cow when he was less than a month old. Other than some extra flies it doesn't seem to bother him.

CB they have pretty much got the problem bloodlines out of the beefmasters like a bull that isnt calving ease.but i will tell you this i would not buy a bull unless i could walk around him in the pasture an pen.

Have you thought of using Bonsmara? all are fully performance tested and throw a consistant quality of calf, the F1 heifers make excellent replacements;

This is a Bonsmara calf out of a Grey Brahman/Hereford cow at Cranor Cattle company Texas.

greybeard":2ymob7rq said:
Nice looking bull Heath except I don't like the sheath area but if he does the job you want, that's what counts.
What's up with that tail?

CB, how old is Obama now?

He is 4 years old in February, he is developing a wandering eye. Nine thousand volts is what is currently out of trouble.
Cousin runs 35 F-1 mommas be just right for him.
I just don't have enough cows anymore to keep a mature bull satisfied.

denvermartinfarms":353cbek4 said:
I bought some Herefords already bred to a beefmaster and they have all calved good and are good calves, the guy paid 3000$ for the bull and I will find out what line he is, I've been very happy with the calves.

Why wouldn't you go with a Charolais on your cows? If not staying black I would have thought a Charolais would have been next on them.

I know the Char breeders have corrected a lot of problems in the last 40 years.
There is a guy not far from me that has some good lookin bulls for sale.
I just can't get past the nightmares of the chains I wore out pulling pallet head calves 40 years ago.

bigbull338":25vedsu4 said:
CB they have pretty much got the problem bloodlines out of the beefmasters like a bull that isnt calving ease.but i will tell you this i would not buy a bull unless i could walk around him in the pasture an pen.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. The problems that lie within most breeds is usually the result of some of the breeders. There are definitely breeders within the Beefmaster breed who chase growth at the expense of calving ease. Now, it's certainly been my experience that the majority of Beefmaster bulls won't cause that problem. However, those bulls do exist. There are also breeders who fail to cull hard enough for disposition and other economically relevant traits. Below, I've posted a Lasater bull (2006 model) that I posted several years ago. He's owned by Buster Beefmasters, and I took the picture this past weekend during a visit. He's a good example of the muscle that can be paired with no excessive leather. Going on cows with any Brahman influence, it may be somewhat important to watch...if the buyers down that way are still looking for reasons to discount good cattle.

IMG_0478.jpg

your right about the fad breeders getting things out of whack within the breed.but a cattlemen should have enough common sense to stay away from breeders like that without being told.before i got started i went to 1 well known breeders farm.an when i got done talking to him about his cattle i knew to stay away from his cattle.

I think BM would do a great job for you. He'll add pound's and possible get you some replace heifers out of him too.
As I look into the breed I'm finding a lot of breeders are going to breeding for just red cattle so the paints are all but bred out of them, which for me is an added attraction. I'm also finding some are breeding or their selling point is we have " black" beefmasters. Color isn't so much a deciding factor for me, but I do like the paints.
I'm noticing with the breeds I'm looking into a lot of them are really pushing show cattle, and I'm not into that part of the business. I just want a cow to have and raise a nice calf. Be able to make it in the real world without the feed bucket every day!

Latest posts