Beefmaster traits....

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Hello gang,

Looking for some information on the Beefmaster breed for a paper I'm putting together.

I have found plenty of info on the history of the breed, but havent had as much luck with breed traits, mature size, traits the make the breed unique, etc.

I know a lot of you here on the forum are Texan's,...and are probably well versed with this breed!

Any help would be appreciated.

Go to the Cattle Today main page. Look in the green margin for 'Breeds". You'll find some good info there.

cornstalk,
one of those links may have carried you to this site if not give it a look.
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/

With that said, I personally like a beefmaster cow they are hard to beat. Good mothers generally milk well, and what i've dealt with have been easy keepers. Mature size just like a lot of the breeds can range from 900 to 1400lbs avg probably 1000-1100 give or take again depending on the environment and all the other variables.
My big question would be. Do you need the ear in your cattle in SD?

Thanks for the reply Diehard.

I'm not sure what you mean by, "Do you need the ear in your cattle in South Dakota"? I'm assuming you are referring to the large eared brahman trait of the Beefmaster?

I'm not sure what you mean by, "Do you need the ear in your cattle in South Dakota"? I'm assuming you are referring to the large eared brahman trait of the Beefmaster?

cornstalk,
referring to do you need the heat tolerance from the brahman influence. I would think they would almost freeze in the winter. plus the discount you would get for the ear (brahman influence). I would think a 1/2 beefmaster in your cows would be the most you would want. But then again it is your choice and you knwo that area a whole lot better than I, beefmasters deffinately have a place IMO.

Diehard:

I understand, and think your right.....buyers in our area would probably not pay top dollar for brahman influence. I should have clarified, I'm not looking for a Beefmaster herd myself, was just gathering info for a paper I had to put together for an animal science class I'm enrolled in.

From what I've gathered in my research, Beefmasters are a pretty versatile breed. (They do equally well in northern climates) I could be wrong however.

Thanks again for all of the info! Gave my presentation today, went pretty good.

Many people would be surprised how our eared cattle do in colder temperatures. They're more hardy than many think.

Glad to hear your presentation went well!

Mature weight of our bull is 2500#, BW was 90#, and he throws heifer calves from 50#-70# and bull calves from 80#-90#.

Gentle disposition on all our cows, moms are great milkers, and our girls (granted they are large framed even for Beefmasters) are at 1500# - 1800#.

Wouldn't go back to fence hoppin' Angus after these... easier in the chute, less easily stressed, etc.

cornstalk":11ss0ukc said:
Thanks for the reply Diehard.

They are half Brahman. I would think a breed with 3/8th Brahman would do better. Crossed with a contential or english breed they would have little if any ear but would have the good trates of the Brahman, easy calving, long life, gentel, and growthy. :D